Is this a wild brown?

Peyton

Peyton

Think this is a wild brown? 22” brown today from the same spot a caught a 20” brown that looked wild before. I have watched this fish grow bigger than bigger for years which leads me to believe they are wild, also the fins on them are perfect without a scratch or dent at all.
2C067BDD B2AE 4CD4 8A0E E18F9E8D7B41

Last edited:
Tough one. The fins certainly look in perfect condition. I find the lack of color curious. Congrats on an awesome trout either way.

That's a nice fish. Maybe stream bred/ wild? GG

Peyton, now you are really bugging me. I need to get out more. Is this from the stream you were talking about before?

Nice fishy! I would vote wild.

Peyton, now you are really bugging me. I need to get out more. Is this from the stream you were talking about before?
It’s pigeon creek, I’ve talked about it before and I certainly like it.
I'm a wild lean on that one. Beautiful fish! What did you catch him/her on?
A 2” streamer, pattern doesn’t have a name but I’ll add a photo of it.FED9797B 39DC 4162 87E8 F460187D65E1

Tough one. The fins certainly look in perfect condition. I find the lack of color curious. Congrats on an awesome trout either way.
In the fall they look great, they get all colored up and you can see them from a mile away. Might also be that the fish was never removed from the water so that might fade it a bit.

Fantastic fish. Browns can be hard to tell once they get big! If I caught it, I'd boast it's wild. It's been there a long time, that's for sure.

Dude, did you catch that while standing up in a canoe with your brother? Nice job!

The wild vs. stocked thing with any trout once they have been in the stream for a while can be really hard to tell because even the harchery fish that have a certain looks can reproduce. Perfect example, laurel hill trout farms “patriot strain” hatchery brook trout. People are finding what appears to wild-patriot strain hybrids unfortunately which means they are likely polluting the wild gene pool. But if you saw these fish you might think they are stocked. But from a fishing accomplishment standpoint as mentioned above peyton, who cares. Great catch buddy.

Certainly a good sized brown.

I don’t know Pigeon Creek- does it get stocked? Is it on the state natural reproduction list? Do you catch different sizes of browns? (Different age classes). Answers to these questions would help.

There is now a better reproducing brown trout population in a part of Pigeon Ck as documented this summer by the present AFM and crew. About 20 yrs ago only one fingerling BT was found among a number of sampling sites situated throughout the stream’s length and no adults were found.

The 2022 survey was initiated in response to Peyton’s tip. It is yet another case of a stream that has improved over time. If it is like a number of other SE Pa streams that have seen various gains in wild BT densities and expansions of their longitudinal ranges, the improvement has most likely been due to cooler water temps associated with increased shade provided by maturing vegetation.

Last edited:
Wild. Fins are flawless. Probably time to quit naming the stream on here, lol. great fish!!

There is now a reproducing brown trout population in a part of Pigeon Ck as documented this summer by the present AFM and crew. About 20 yrs ago only one fingerling BT was found among a number of sampling sites situated throughout the stream’s length. The 2022 survey was initiated in response to Peyton’s tip. It is yet another case of a stream that has improved over time.
You always bring great info to the board. I think naming a stream doesn't necessarily mean a good or bad thing. Just my opinion. Streams with friends leads to greater protection but a more well known stream leads to more angling pressure. Pick yer poison.

Wild. Fins are flawless. Probably time to quit naming the stream on here, lol. great fish!!
There is maybe three public access points so it doesn’t really matter. I check with the land owners and get access to much more water.
Certainly a good sized brown.

I don’t know Pigeon Creek- does it get stocked? Is it on the state natural reproduction list? Do you catch different sizes of browns? (Different age classes). Answers to these questions would help.
state doesn’t stock it and it’s not a wild stream yet. Some kid stocks it full of ugly looking bows. There was a few bows that looked wild but probably not. I’ve never seen a stocked brown in there before. There is around a dozen browns between 6-12’ a handful between 12-18” and just a few over 18”.

There is maybe three public access points so it doesn’t really matter. I check with the land owners and get access to much more water.
Just so this thread doesn't go away off topic - I was mostly joking with the naming comment. It's a sensitive subject around here and I probably shouldn't have brought it up.

I personally wouldn't name where I found a 20"+ brown, but it doesn't mean there's suddenly going to be a run of people on your spot. Especially if access is limited. Again, that's a great fish and I hope my throwaway comment doesn't distract from it.

Back