Is there a setback required for homeowners?

S

springer1

I was fishing yesterday and came across a residential homeowner who has cleared all the brush & under growth right down to the stream bank. I assume they are preparing to sod or seed a lawn.

Is this legal - isn't there some sort of required setback buffer between improved property and a creek ? Is there a designated agency I should notify ? Thanks.

Your County Conservation District would most likely be your first point of contact. As a whole if the roots are left in place, DEP does not regulate the cutting of vegetation. If the property is enrolled in any form of a conservation easement or if the disturbance is part of a larger development or project there may be some more stringent restrictions.

Your best course of action would probably be to amicably educate the property owner.

https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/025/chapter102/s102.14.html

There are many places on land owned by resource agencies where groomed lawns are maintained right up to the water's edge.

There are many places on land owned by resource agencies where groomed lawns are maintained right up to the water's edge.
Roger that. Well, if they can then a homeowner's back yard can. Sigh, it's tough to be a fish.

SteveG wrote:
Your best course of action would probably be to amicably educate the property owner.

https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/025/chapter102/s102.14.html

To the best of my knowledge the regs referenced here only apply when a landowner or developer is applying for a Chp 102 NPDES permit for construction activity in a special protection watershed. In those cases a 150' riparian buffer is required, if the buffer is impacted by the construction the applicant must replant onsite or mitigate elsewhere nearby. Offsite replanting usually requires a greater number of trees to be planted.

I am almost positive that there is no regulatory citation that could be used to prevent a landowner from cutting vegetation along a stream. Earth disturbance adds an additional layer and that is well regulated.

Back