IS THE BIG SNOW GOOD FOR TROUT

salmo

salmo

I was wondering if the recent blizzard in southeast Pennsylvania is good or bad for our streams and trout? I can see it both ways. On the plus side is the positive impact melting snow has on ground water and the water table. On the negative side are the chemicals dumped on the road surfaces to cause snow melt when they was into streams and rivers. Also rapid melting combined with heavy rain could increase siltation. My personal opinion is that the benefits slightly outweigh the negatives, but I'm no environmental expert if any kind.

I tend to agree with your balanced assessment.

Overall, a slow snow melt is a positive thing.

Interesting. On the contrary, if there is a warm front to come in and the snow melts quickly, would a really fast snow melt cause streams to be blown out? Are blowouts bad for trout or does it not matter?

Also, at one time researchers said a fast melt ran a large slug of acid water down the streams, to their detriment and to the detriment of the fish and bugs in them. Though somewhat improved, I guess, I think acid rain/snow/snowmelt is still a problem, and I hope the snow melts slowly and runs off very slooooowly.

I remember a big weather warmup in january 1996. We were having a very cold and snowy winter right before hand. Then, all of that snow melted quite suddenly. Causing lots of flooding all over the state.
And it did seem to have a negative effect on the fishing the following season.
The general consensus on this site - and several others - was that the fishing was lousy everywhere that year

3 feet of snow probably equates to around 2.5 to 3 inches of liquid or so, and unless we get a heavy rainfall, flooding shouldnt be a problem, which isn't a bad thing anyway, happens every year a few times. As far as salt and other chemicals to treat roads go, a slow melt could make that effect on streams worse, because it wouldn't be as diluted. Just my .02c.

I don't think the trout know or care if it was a big snow or not. Its really more of human issue than a trout issue. I bet they have never been through a winter with a lot of snow before.

Yes, flooding is bad. But not always as catastrophic as it's made out to be.

Anyway, yes, in areas that are degraded by acid rain, snow melt is bad.

1. Typically, in summer, a good portion of water flows through the ground, where even in the most infertile freestoners, there is SOME buffering, and the pH of the water will be somewhat better than that of the rainfall itself. In winter, the ground is frozen, and a much higher % of the flow is direct runoff. Hence, more acidic. With thoroughly frozen ground, snow, and rain melting that snow, it can be near 100% runoff.

2. Acid deposits on the ground even outside of rain events. Just in the air. Typically it lands on the ground, then much of it slowly sinks into the ground, where it's buffered. With snow cover, it lays on the snow. Snow melt is thus more acidic than rain. The longer the snow cover lasts, the more acidic it becomes. The worst case scenario is snow cover to not melt, and last all winter, storing all the acid deposition from a whole season. Then all to release suddenly in one massive rainy warm spell.

This is not unusual. For streams that are bordering on too acidic (from acid rain, not AMD), they're actually not so most of the year. It's the snowmelt events that lead to the worst acid spikes and become the limiting factor. Acid, especially temporary spikes, kill eggs before it kills fish. And this is one reason why you get good year classes and bad year classes in these streams, which a few years down the road, translates to swings in the fishable population.

My 11-12 inches is now looking like 4. The melt has begun and it seems slow enough. This moisture came up from the south, so I think the acid content may be less in what water actually fell to the ground than in our normal west to east flow.

That's probably true. Again, though, now that the storm is over, there's acid falling on it 24/7 and collecting in the surface layer of snow.

Just rounding out all the speculation by indicating this is all melting steadily over the last 48 hours or so.

JackM wrote:
My 11-12 inches is now looking like 4.

Way too easy, Jack.

Edit: Ironic that you beat me to it by 4 seconds.

dryflyguy wrote:
I remember a big weather warmup in january 1996. We were having a very cold and snowy winter right before hand. Then, all of that snow melted quite suddenly. Causing lots of flooding all over the state.
And it did seem to have a negative effect on the fishing the following season.
The general consensus on this site - and several others - was that the fishing was lousy everywhere that year

That's right. That severe flood from rain on snow did hurt trout populations and damage stream habitats, both from flood scour and from stream channelization that occurred in response to the flood.

But if there is no flood then a lot of snow is good as it recharges groundwater.

Also, modest floods do little damage to trout populations. But severe scouring floods can knock down trout populations pretty hard. And the Jan 1996 flood did that.

as long as the ground is not frozen the snow melt will help, if not it will just run off

What snow? We have nothing here in Williamsport and Lock Haven north! Such a disappointment!

why a disappointment

I know that pcray its frozen here, was just wondering why he says its a disappointment. It wouldn't help the streams at all except to flood them with all this warm weather

This doesn't figure on being a rain on snow warm-up like the '96 event. I was told that in NCPA nearly 60 inches of snow melted in 1 day in '96. That turned out really bad.
This time it will be a slow meltdown over several days. The ground is frozen so it probably won't help the water table, that's not how it works.
I view the road chess as an issue not researched at all, though someone told me that it isn't an issue. Ground water and streams are more salty now than in the past according to USGS. So yes it is an issue, how much only careful study will tell.

Back