Is Harmon's ok from the flooding storms?

L

lestrout

I read that the famous Greenbrier had to cancel the upcoming PGA tourney due to the big storms. Does anyone know if our sponsor Harmon's is ok?

Harmons is probably fine, I actually rode my motorcycle through the flooded area last week, I was camping along the Williams river, hoping to fish, wed night when the rain started. By thurs morning it was clear the rain wasn't going to stop(BTW, forecast called for 40% chance of a storm!) I was packing up when the forest service drove by and suggested I get outta there! I ended up riding through the worst rain I've ever seen, calling it quits in Covington VA, which got 10 inches!!! I got a flea bag motel room next to a Mexican restaurant and called it a day, I was well away from the river and the flooding. The next morning showed the devastation, I was lucking to find an easy way out of town and got to the Blue ridge parkway and headed south.
I rode home sunday, kept east and north of the worst of it, nothing in Seneca rocks, which is just south of Harmons, so they should be fine.

I didn't fish, at first I was kinda bumbed, but after seeing the destruction, my heart sank for those good folks who don't have much to begin with, and now have nothing. The pics on the news just don't tell the whole story, to see it in person is horrible to say the least.

Yeah, it got ugly in some parts. Saw some localized small stream flooding through some friends around the Canaan Valley, but nothing too gnarly compared to further south. Looks like the Elk River Drainage and surrounding area to the south got hammered, the wooden bridge into the Elk River Touring Center got wiped out up in Slatyfork near Snowshoe Resort. From the video I saw I can't imagine what was going on downstream on the Elk. Haven't seen anything dire coming out of the Seneca Rocks neck of the woods, so Harman's probably fared ok.

Just checked their facebook page and it looks like they are fine.

I do like how the greenbriar cancelled the pga game, and focused their efforts and resources on helping their neighbors in need, donating food and such to anyone that needs it.

Harmans is in great shape. The flow is currently around 600, I fished it last week at about 350. Fishing was great, never saw so many big trout down there as this year. They also said they were going to stock again this week. Water temp was in the mid 60s last week even with the hot weather. Rain should have help with that.

That's great news Biggie we are going down for the first time next week. There web site has a link to the water level and it is at 5.15 as of this morning. Any suggestions on which flys I should be tying?
Thanks

Back