Iron Lotus fly

jkilroy

jkilroy

Hi,
Happy New Year everyone! I'm stuck overseas with the military in not so nice place and I'm doing quite a bit of tying in my spare time. I'm also running out of ideas for small nymphs. I'm looking at tying some iron lotus patterns. Wondering if it is good to tie them in size 14? I tied some in 16 and 18 already.I know they represent the bwo and they are usually 16 and smaller.

Everyone have good luck with them? I think I will tie them on jig hooks and skip the win case.

i have heard of some streams getting a summer bwo that is of a bigger variety and have heard of them up to a size 12 on a few north central pa streams but never had the chance to fish them and never heard of the iron lotus pattern

but good luck overseas thank you for all you do for your fellow man and thank you for keeping our freedom our freedom

love the iron lotus. I don't have any in 14 but i would imagine it is not to big. I had a lot of success on size 8 and 6 nymphs last winter, so there is no doubt big flies work.

One of the concepts in the design of the lotus is to get to the bottom quickly on it's own accord.( streamlined if you will ) A size 14 as an anchor fly? Don't see why it would not work, and the jig go for that one too and let us know how you did. Variation on styles can be a good thing. Thank you for your sacrifice, and dedication to us and our country.

I have had success with smaller versions of the Iron Lotus - sizes 18 to 22. I will weight these flies with tungsten beads (sometimes two small beads on the same hook) and use it as a lead or anchor fly. I'm amazed that I've caught many fish on the Lotus when using it as a lead fly. I've also had quite a bit of success this year with the Frenchie, another Lance Egan fly. Again, I tie them on a smaller hook and sometimesuse an un-weighted version as a point fly. I've had success with them not only in PA streams but MD streams also.

Dale

I've been doing alot of variations with jig hooks as of late. Nice thing about them is you can put on a bigger slotted bead on a smaller hook. I tie a walts variation size 16 3.0 bead and add a small wiggle dubbing behind bead. Works awesome on spring creek and it gets down. Been doing hares ears also except I omit the win case, unnecessary. I add something easy to tie on the jig hook instead. A plump thorax.

Can't wait to try them out when I get back

Back