Internships within the Fly Fishing Industry

M

Mike_Emanuele

Hey guys, I'm looking for some outside ideas on internships within the industry. I'm a Communications major with a solid background in photography, graphic design (Adobe Creative Cloud Software), and film. I'd love to hear what some of you guys have done in the past or what you wish you would of done while you were young. I'd really appreciate the input, thanks!

What would you picture yourself doing in this theoretical internship? Do you want to make video content for the employer?

Have you considered modeling of FF apparel?

Get noticed.

Social media presence, show your work, support your brands, promote conservation, environmentalism and sportsmanship.

Volunteer work can lead to recognition. Consider TU, PHWFF, your local wildlife resources commission and other volunteer opportunities. At the very worst, you are building a resume.

Go talk to biological science and environmental science departments at your school, organize a stream clean up or start a fly fishing club.

Once you get a club started, reach out to manufacturers and ask what they can do to help equip your members.

At the minimum, take a summer job as a guide. It won't pay the bills, but it may get you noticed.

Remember, it is all about building a resume.

Try the big fly fishing companies. I'd start with farbank, you can submit your resume online. Mayfly might have some also. I'd imagine pure fishing has some too. Orvis as well.

You might be surprised what kind of responses you get back. I'd think it's very likely you can find an internship.

I've actually been pretty involved in the fly fishing community (locally for the past three years since I first started. I created IUP's fishing club and formed cooperative ties with the TU chapter and various other groups. I'm in the process of rebranding my social media content into different sections. I love photography and now I am getting more into the filming side of things. I have a website and various other portfolio sources. I wish I would of guided in the past summers but due to personal responsibilities I was not able to leave.

Define the various niches or sectors within the fly fishing industry and determine where someone with your present background might best fit in for a real life experience. For example, still life photography and graphic design could fit with online catalogs and equipment advertising. Still photos and videography could fit with adventure travel marketing, which could include fishing travel.

Have you considered broadening your search to include companies focused on camping, hiking, hunting, skiing, etc?

It may not be fly fishing per se but you'll end up in a lot of the same places and the experience will look good on a resume if a desirable position opens up at a FF company.

I agree with Penn Kev. And to be honest, being that specific --photography, video--within the fly fishing industry (which is much more limiting than broader retail industries) might work against you. Not saying you can't find an intership, but I think your best opps are going to be within retail or marketing firms -- mostly larger ones -- with outdoor/travel accounts and internship programs. Since you're not quite sure what you're looking for, I'd simply focus on the creative marketing side.

Develop a hit list. Do you want to stay fairly local? Or are you willing to travel? If local, I'd start with places such as ****s Sporting Goods (Field and Stream), check Frontiers Travel in Wexford, PA, they specialize in fly fishing and hunting travel. I know larger ad agencies in Pittsburgh, like Brunner, work with Field and Stream and they have a great internship program. If you are willing to temporarily relocate, some larger companies have established internships that pay. Try places like Bass Pro Shops, Orvis, etc.

I would start by calling. You may get some responses from email but you're better off calling and finding things out by talking to real people. I work in the creative side of advertising and get tons of emails that I simply forward to our HR people. Call around ask if they would consider an internship. Speak to creative department heads.At this stage, I would be too concerned about specific jobs. Once in a place, you get to see the wide variety of jobs and where your skill sets would best fit in. Good luck to you.

Farbank has something on their website about internships.

Uh oh... somebuddy got a pro deal.

not trying to be negative... just realistic (and not just about internships)
15yrs ago I was in the same boat as you... and found a way to make it work
but technology (on all fronts has changed everything)

- it is super competitive (fly fishing video/photo)... there are people who have been "doing it" since you were in diapers and have established relationships that have been forged over a long time and there are also people who do amazing work it for little to no $$$...

- the big names are "big" names because they did it for years... made relationships over years, proved they could deliver, and continued to deliver. And they diversify...FF is just a part

- what is your ideal job? and realistic pay expectations for when you hit the real world

- there was some good advise on this thread, esp not to limit yourself to just fishing. Do you want to work at an agency? open to any outdoor/lifestyle brand? go kick around the outdoor job boards (malakye is one) read the job specs/qualifications... do you have the skills? what are you missing?

- you better have a kickass instagram/youtube/blog/ect... if you can't develop your own content, you will never get a chance to do it for anyone else

- honestly, a phone call or email won't get you far... face to face OR know someone. no company will pay relocation or interview costs, so you need to be where the job will be

Mike_Emanuele wrote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for some outside ideas on internships within the industry. I'm a Communications major with a solid background in photography, graphic design (Adobe Creative Cloud Software), and film. I'd love to hear what some of you guys have done in the past or what you wish you would of done while you were young. I'd really appreciate the input, thanks!

Hey Mike,

There is an Internship for Orvis Adventures Video Productions based out of Sunderland, VT.

Position Description / Requirements:
Intern Video Productions

Orvis Listings:
Orvis Internship

There is a lot of competition for these positions. If you're interested, I suggest you contact them and send a resume and video clip asap.

Good luck!

Very good info is in this pod cast. How to get in the door, work, develop your passion and how luck is inter twined.

http://www.aprilvokey.com/podcasts/

Louis Cahill - Gink, Gasoline, and Monkeys?
January 27, 2017
Louis Cahill is one of the most captivating people I have ever met. I first heard of Louis when his photography popped up in the fly fishing scene — there was no denying that the man has talent. He then went on to start the popular website, Gink and Gasoline, and the rest is history. In this episode of Anchored I sit down with Louis to see if I can put a voice to the man who usually speaks to us through text and photographs.

I had missed this (maybe you didn't) but here's a thread in the Shop Talk forum that has a summer internship in the FF field - looks like video/cinematography - right up your ally:

Internship

I think your thinking small. Don't pigeon hole yourself in a very very very small market just because you like to fly fish. Remember fishing is a hobby and offers very very very few opportunities to earn a livable wage. The goal is to get paid hansomly to where you can afford doing what you love to do on the weekends and move out of your parents home. Look for a real internship, a paying internship that will lead to a good paying job. Not an internship that pays minumum wage or worse, nothing. It's a big industry with big opportunities.

So many of my kids friends said things like "I want to do what I love to do" and were encouraged to do so by their parents. Those same kids are all still living with their parents, working low paying jobs with no future. Now I listen to the parents that encouraged this "do what you love to do and you will never work a day in your life" mentality complain about how they can never retire from work to do what they would love to do. The other kids who were pushed to get a degree and job that will earn a livable wage have never come home from college and are living their dreams.

Hate to be a kill joy especially when some people would rather blow feel good smoke up your backside but life is hard when your poor and struggling and your kids want to go to college. Just something to think about.

Maybe someone has mentioned Kelly Galloup already? You probably have heard of him. I have ran across a couple of younger guys on Youtube that interned with him at his SlideInn. A young fly tyer by the name of Gunner Brammer comes to mind. You may want to contact him or Kelly.

Back