Intermediate lines, is there a reliable way to color them?

TimMurphy

TimMurphy

Dear Board,

I've only ever fished an intermediate line on occasion, and I find that I don't care for them due to their color being mostly either clear, or green/brown camo color. While that may not matter to many people, it makes line management difficult for me. I kind of need to see the line a bit so that I can tell how much line I have outside the rod before beginning the next cast.

I'm going to buy a couple of clear intermediates, mostly because the price is right. They will only be used occasionally. I was hoping someone might have a suggestion as to how I can color up the line? My idea is to spray paint the last 5 feet with fluorescent orange paint, or maybe make a stripe around the line at 10 and 25 feet with a permanent marker.

I'm hoping someone has a better way?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Hi Tim!

Have you spent a good deal of time with one particular line? For intermediates, most of my experience is with Orvis Hydros lines that do the alternating colors / camo thing. Eventually, after a bunch of casting, I start to intuitively know what patterns mean I'm coming up on the head and where the rear taper is.

This seems like it would be doubly hard with a clear line, but, with some sequence of coloration, my brain starts to catch it eventually. Maybe I'm a weirdo?

Dear hooker-of-men,

I should have added, I'd consider an intermediate line that was colored. I did use a blue colored intermediate line recently on a trip. It was much more manageable for me to use than the clear and camo lines I have tried before. I guess I should ask the guide who loaned me the line what it was?

I just don't want to buy $ 99.00 fly lines to only use on occasion on 7 or 8 weight rods.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back