Interesting product - wearable rod clip

M

mikesl

came across this today, seems like something I could use.
I find myself fumbling around a lot when trying to land a fish, and the rod is always taking up one hand that i wish i could free up...

Smith Creek Rod Clip on youtube

You know every fishing vest ever made has that same basic feature built in.

You'll also find it in the Colombia Sports-styled "guide shirts."

meh, I don't own a vest, I use a small chest pack without such a feature. so for me it looks handy.

You can make your own. I made my first one about 6 years ago. They are really easy to make and cost pennies!

Arm pits still cost nothing.

DD- pics, materials?

I have never used a rod clip/holder, wouldn't know how. And I have never wished I had one or knew how to use it. I have also never put my grimy cork-grip in my mouth, maybe under my chin, though.

Having watched the video, I now know how to use one. If I ever try one, I hope I can't believe I "ever did without one."

I think i know what Jack Means..........then again i only use hippers so my rod goes down in a boot.

I like this rod holder.
The rod holders on the vests that I own have velcro straps and are a pain to separate to use, so I never use them. But this one looks like you can use it easy with just one hand. And you don't have to use the butt strap on the vest either. It looks strong enough to work all by itself.
Thanks for sharing.

PennKev wrote:
Arm pits still cost nothing.
That's the one I use! :lol:

The materials are pretty basic stuff. A 1 1/2"- 2" long piece of 1" tubular aluminum, a piece of pool noodle(other foam works also) , spray adhesive(Super77) and a large snap swivel minus the swivel. The one posted is about 2 years old so it's a little beat up. I first started using these when wade fishing for Smallies but soon realized it had many applications. I first came up with this to keep my rod out of the mud and off the rocks when tying on flies or releasing fish. I also found it very useful when kayaking and on the pontoon after almost dropping my rod overboard. Later on I realized another benefit when Brookie fishing a few winters ago to keep your reel and rod out of the snow and water helping with icing up issues. And that walk back to the truck was ALOT nicer being able to keep my cold hands in my pockets rather than having to hold the rod.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 5
Thanks, DD.

Only 22 bucks. I have two vests and they both have a loop at the bottom to stick the rod butt into and a Velcro strap up top to secure the other end. If i didnt wear a vest then I'd go with DD's home made version but made from a block of wood (only because I have wood laying all around me)

After trying DD's idea using pool noodle and 3/4" PVC, I didn't like the grip the noodle had on the rod. I got some 5/16" ID hose, approximately 1 1/2 " long and cut a slit full length down one side , and it grabbed the rod very securely. I opened the OD of the hose along both sides of the slit to a flare.
I cut a groove on the inside, at one end, about 1/16" deep, 180 degrees from the full length slit, and punched a hole through for a short piece of bailing wire. I squeezed the wire tight into the groove in the hose, so the rod wouldn't touch the wire and get marked and twisted a loop with the wire hanging outside the hose. It can be hung from a zinger, or a heavy duty safety pin. NOT the pins from the liscense holders. There crap.
Used it on Saturday and it worked like a charm.
Thanks for the idea, delta dog.

Awesome, just what I need, yet another flyfishing gadget to blow money on...

The one I made was free.

Back