Interesting idea

djs12354

djs12354

Saw this on Reddit and thought it was/is an interesting idea. Has anyone seen this? Thoughts?

Flybaray Box?

That is the flybrary project. It started as foam tape on a gas pump in Oak Hill FL.

You'll see them around various fly shops and parking areas. Even some channel markers if you know where to look. TCO in Boiling Springs has one I've also seen one at Seven Mile fly shop in Marathon.

Larry of Tailer Trash Fly Fishing is the creator of the Oak Hill Flybrary and the Flybrary Project site. The concept was probably around prior in other areas, but Larry promoted it through their online presence and the podcast.

That is the flybrary project. It started as foam tape on a gas pump in Oak Hill FL.

You'll see them around various fly shops and parking areas. Even some channel markers if you know where to look. TCO in Boiling Springs has one I've also seen one at Seven Mile fly shop in Marathon.

Larry of Tailer Trash Fly Fishing is the creator of the Oak Hill Flybrary and the Flybrary Project site. The concept was probably around prior in other areas, but Larry promoted it through their online presence and the podcast.
Thanks for the history. I have not encountered one of these "in the wild".

I’ve seen similar ones before in PA. FFO lot at the bridge on Kettle had one for a while and just saw one recently on the new Rail Gap Preserve property on Pocono Creek.

This is one of those things that just seems to bring out the worst in people, for whatever reason. My recollection of them both was just having been a dumping ground for chewed up flies, tippet still attached, that should have just been thrown away when you got home. FWIW.

My guess is one guy will just pocket all those nice flies in the OP. Sorry to be a downer, just my experience with what I’ve seen. I’m pretty sure someone lifted the whole box’s worth on the one on Kettle when it was first put in.

Last edited:
I’ve seen similar ones before in PA. FFO lot at the bridge on Kettle had one for a while and just saw one recently on the new Rail Gap Preserve property on Pocono Creek.

This is one of those things that just seems to bring out the worst in people, for whatever reason. My recollection of them both was just having been a dumping ground for chewed up flies, tippet still attached, that should have just been thrown away when you got home. FWIW.

My guess is one guy will just pocket all those nice flies in the OP. Sorry to be a downer, just my experience with what I’ve seen. I’m pretty sure someone lifted the whole box’s worth on the one on Kettle when it was first put in.
Great - now that you let that cat out of the bag, I'll have more competition for filling my fly box and will actually have to throw away tippet snippets instead of leaving them attached to dead flies and using the flybrary as my own personal mini dumpster. First we get dumped on for taking pictures of fish. And now getting shamed for being resourceful in filling a fly box...

There is/was one on Donegal Creek, behind the red barn.

Great - now that you let that cat out of the bag, I'll have more competition for filling my fly box and will actually have to throw away tippet snippets instead of leaving them attached to dead flies and using the flybrary as my own personal mini dumpster. First we get dumped on for taking pictures of fish. And now getting shamed for being resourceful in filling a fly box...

There is/was one on Donegal Creek, behind the red barn.

I’m going to start leaving 1/6 oz gold/silver blade Thomas Specials on them.

Can't say as to whether I would put one up or not. If I do, I would not be surprised to see it stripped as you say. It's like I tell my wife, a$$holes are everywhere. I would keep putting flies on if it does. It's easy to let the a$$holes win. They must be pretty desperate for bugs if they will take my poor efforts at tying.

I bought my 8 year old boy a fly box as part of his fly fishing christmas outfit. I got one of the ones with the trout pattern. But I noticed they had a fly box with this pattern, it made me laugh.

51JFsl-r26L._AC_.jpg

I love Flybrary boxes, great places to dump used/unwanted flies.

Middle of no where Connecticut river

Attachments

• PXL_20210624_124338523.jpg
    PXL_20210624_124338523.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 29
Ridley Creek has one in the ffo section

Did you happen to get the Jersey tag from the vehicle?
No need to hack on the greatest state in the union. Only fine, upstanding citizens on your eastern frontier. :)

There is one at the upper end of the catch and release section on Penns. Usually just a few flies on it.

Back