Interesting Dry Fly Technique

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

Always looking for another way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wESjdI5ha0o

I've seen this pattern before but I don't remember where. I tied a few yesterday. An easy pattern. The biggest issue is just getting the tail feather prepared. I see how it could be done for many mayfly patterns with just color changes.

troutpoop wrote:
I've seen this pattern before but I don't remember where. I tied a few yesterday. An easy pattern. The biggest issue is just getting the tail feather prepared. I see how it could be done for many mayfly patterns with just color changes.

You mean like this?

GenCon

Attachments

• March Brown.jpg
    March Brown.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 2
Wow, That's cool! That's not what I saw before. Puts the original pattern to shame.
LOL, what I tied was a plain jane version for sure.

To me it is just highlighting the tails of a mayfly, which is probably the least important feature of the fly when it comes to what fish see/key in on.

Still looks cool though.

MKern wrote:
To me it is just highlighting the tails of a mayfly, which is probably the least important feature of the fly when it comes to what fish see/key in on.

Still looks cool though.

Thanks guys. yea it was just a fun tie to do. It looks cool but I doubt it will hold up. I tied this last Spring just for fun. Never even fished it.

GenCon

Jack has the only train car of the original antron. Its all I use on my drys. I have a lot of 12 and 14 mustad up eye hooks for this pattern from when I tied in the catskills with harry and the guys

Wow! How cool is THAT? Did you tie with the Darby's and the Dette's?

yes and a few others from the Catskills and Pocono's
even the Cumberland valley people in the 70's

Wow! How cool is THAT! I am currently writing a book on the old masters, and have interviewed dozens of people that associated with them and knew them well. I may have to interview YOU! Mr Dette was well known for sipping a favorite beverage whenever he tied. I can't recall the name of it. You should know. Can you refresh my memory?

Do you tie with any of the new masters that are still alive?

A few, stop by sometime and we will talk

We consider Sandfly a master but we aren't sure he is still alive.

That's what I'm after Franklin. A true new age master. Maybe I will run into Sandfly at the next TU meeting and we can chat.:)

Back