Innovative way to tie a Muddler Minnow

billfrech

billfrech

This video is a very innovative way to tie a Muddler Minnow. It is not in English, but that does not matter.

http://thelimpcobra.com/2013/11/24/deer-hair-wings-and-muddler-head-the-easy-way/

That's pretty cool. I may have to try that. I bet it cuts down on all the tiny bits of hair all over the place after trimming with a razor blade. (now there will be ash...wonder what's worse...I think this technique is quicker)

The power of the mind... was like "smell-e-vision"... I actually thought I smelled it, LOL. Neat idea!
Mike B

Saw someone do it this way years ago and tried it myself a few times. Never burned too much off but was always scared to see all my hard work go up in flames and have gone back to trimming with a razor or scissors. I don't mind being covered in deeper hair clippings.

The beeping of the smoke detector at the end of that video is the best!

I agree that taking a flame to a fly that you just spent time on would take me a bit of courage to do too. I haven't tried this technique, but maybe someday...

Somehow I could see a fireball fall from my vise an land squarely in the middle of a Medium Blue Dun Saddle, and the whole bench going up in smoke! Yowza!

I think one of the keys is holding your fly below the flame. That gives much more control over how much hair you burn off. I never did it like the video or saw anyone else just light the whole thing on fire and let it burn.

My biggest take away was the way he cut a square from the patch, instead of cutting the hair off and then stacking it in a hair stacker. That's a great way to make sure you have the same amount of material on each fly as well as allowing you to prep several squares at once when tying multiple flies. Plus, no bundle slipping if your grip isn't tight enough.

+1

+2

Back