Injured fish

SBecker

SBecker

I was at a sportsman's flea market yesterday, manning a booth for the Lrsa and sipping on a Mountain Dew to keep me awake. When out of the blue a large gentleman rushed up to my booth to tell me that he was a professional bass fisherman and had a tip for me. He saw that I was drinking a Dew and thought of a tip that he uses when he hooks a bass and it is bleeding. Pour Dew on it and it will close up the wound and save the fish. I laughed thinking of myself hooking a trout, it bleeding, and me pouring Mountain Dew down it's throat as my friends stared at me in disbelief. He said it works because of the high concentration of citrus juices. Has anybody heard of this? I am willing to carry a bottle of Dew if it will work LOL

Carry a bottle of lager. It'll get the fish drunk, and it won't feel the pain.

You can also give me the bottle when I get thirsty, since you surely won't need to use it on a fish. :lol:

If you want them to live i wouldn't pour Mt Dew down it's throat , but if they are bleeding (especially from the gills) they seldom live. It happens no matter how careful you are. The right thing to do and in my interpretation of the law , the legal thing to do , is kill the fish clean it and use it , otherwise it's "wanton waste" under the specifics of the law. I don't eat trout but know folks that do but at times when i kinda knew a fish was in bad shape i would still give it back to the water , something will use it , but the fact that i know it's gonna die , technically makes that illegal. Call me an outlaw i guess.

DO NOT pour Mountain dew or any other soda in or on a fish. It is very acidic and will burn/scar the gills and could affect the slime on the exterior.
Besides, it (citric acid) is actually used as an anticoagulant and blood preservative in the lab.
The only reason why it MIGHT stop bleeding is that it scars tissue, which could stop bleeding

lesson of the day: Don't listen to people at flea markets.

I just hold them by their gills and flip em right back in like they taught us on Bil Dance.

TomG...........you forgot that after you flip 'em back in you HAVE to fall out of the boat , at some point he hit his haid on sumpin!!! Out of all of the fishin show pros i like him "Bill Dance" the best , i think i could fish with him. Some of the others would be in the drink , i would be able to only endure a short amount of time listening to Jimmy Houston laughing and i'd have to toss him.

just carry some oxy w. ya... 5 mg should ease the pain.

was this guy serious? lol, uniform-wearing, sponsored bass fisherman.

Shane why do you regurgitate stuff like this? You know pouring acid on a fish is not a good thing. Guess that will be the first thing we go over at beginners JAM.

I sat there laughing the whole time, and I have a witness who listend to this guy talk about it.

But a little research.....http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showthread.php?t=74294

http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=80364.0

Guess I am not the only one that has been told this.

Advice from a man called "HOGMONSTER."

Next thing to know, you'll be going out to lunch with the Trout Dogg.

LOL I know Trout Dogg. Funny #OOPS#

LRSABecker wrote:
LOL I know Trout Dogg. Funny #OOPS#

Not helping your case, Duder.

I'm sure he'll be in attendance at LUNKERFEST '11.

I am sure you are correct. Met him at the contest up here, that I took my son to.

.........read the same thing in Bassmaster Magazine a few months ago

Posted in June 2009. I will check. I am quite positive that is not in Bassmaster.

If I remember correctly, this is what the gentleman that I talked to told me as well.

Trout fear the Dogg!
(btw, that's a sticker on the side of his car, the picture that is, not the statement)

edited to add: the ridonkulous statement has been a .sig of his in many places, and it makes me laugh endlessly.

gfen, fears the dogg.

Attachments

• a1f14c6.jpg
    a1f14c6.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 3
MUTATED PUNKIN FISH

lol I know troutdogg too. Met him on the LL once or twice. He seemed like a nice enough guy :)

There is a guy who calls himself troutdogg?

Where can I learn more about this? This is amazing!

Facebook?

Nevermind I found it.
Pressure washing and Slayin trouts.

Back