Info on Erie Steelhead

jifigz

jifigz

A buddy of mine has mentioned that he has interest in going to Erie and chasing some steelhead. Neither one of us has ever been there or fished for steelhead so I don't really know much about it. Are there any specific flies that I should take? I have a good understanding of what flies I should carry, but if people would like to suggest some I would appreciate it. Also, how crowded will the streams be? I have been to Pulaski NY to fish for salmon before and that was a little more crowded than I like, so if it is anything like that that is a major turn off for me. I believe that we are planning on going in November, is that typically a good time to find fish in the Erie tribs of NW PA? Also, I am assuming my 8 weight is my most practical rod choice to get the job done, but would I be undergunned with a 6 weight?

Thanks for any help.

Personally, I think a 7 weight is ideal for Erie, PA, but I have used 5 weights and 6 weights. If you only hook up once or twice, the 6-weight is adequate, but it takes a bit of elbow grease and that can get strenuous with numerous hook-ups.

Egg patterns, streamers and nymphs all produce depending on the circumstances.

You could probably glean a ton of info by using the search function for "steelhead," as these topics have been discussed numerous times here over the years.

Erie can be just as crowded as Pulaski. Also the streams are much smaller. The 8 wt. is overkill, but I wouldn't buy another rod for the first trip. Egg flies and stoneflies and white/gold streamers work. Also one day the red san juan worm was killer, next day they wouldn't look at it..............If it doesn't rain much in the week ahead of your trip, it will be tough fishing.

November is generally one of the better months for numbers of fish around. If you're going on a weekend I'd expect crowds, but little less if you can swing going weekdays. By November though fish are usually spread out (that's if it ever rains up there again) and with some homework before your trip and some walking you can find some less pressured waters.

Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like some more info.

Remember lake Erie is a BIG lake. There are LOTS of tribs and most to all have steelhead in them untill you reach the far western end. So yes getting away from people is totally possible. Ive had late November days where I literally have had hundreds of fish all to my self.

I Like to use a 6wt with a fighting butt. The fighting butt is not totally needed but after a long fight its nice to stick that rod into your waist. As far as how to catch them just remember they are just trout. I think a lot of people get caught up on the steelhead mystic. At the End of the day though they are just big rainbow trout. They eat worms, eggs, bugs , minnows heck I've seen guys catch them on marshmallows and powerbait.

Just my two cents as a novice steelheader, regarding the rod size.

My first year at the Steelhead Jam I took a 9' 8wt because that's what I had as a bass fisherman.

I took a 10' 7 WT last year and it was so much easier turning over nymphing rigs so I'll use that going forward.

PA tribs can be crowded even during the week on days one would think should have few people fishing. The runs of fish have been slim because of the lack of water. Most are fishing the shore or very low close to the lake. 6Wt works well.

I used to fish the upper reaches of Walnut. The shale underneath the area is very, very soft. That's why you won't really see many rocks that aren't glacially deposited granite from Canada. Why is this important? Because high water can create/erode out substantial features in one good flood, and this happened at lower Walnut. It used to have more of a falls that the fish could jump. After a big rain, it eroded into a chute that they can only get over in the highest of water. So , unfortunately, many miles of water is now almost devoid of fish. Otherwise, I could tell you where to go up here. To get much space to fish, you have to go to Elk, pretty much. 20 mile is really condensed. 16 mile has, what, a mile of fishing till the big falls? Everything else is a smaller stream with even less water until upstream migration is halted.

I use sucker spawn and I've never wanted for another fly. I use some yarn eggs, but not much. Pale yellow angora yarn sucker spawn on sz. 14 short heavy pupa hooks is my go-to. Good gap and strong wire. Pale pink. Darker pink for dirtier water. Oddly, I'm told chartruse is good for the muddiest of water, but I don't fish in those conditions.

for equipment, I find that I use a boringly simple set-up with no regrets. We try to control things with what we use or do, but mostly steelhead are off and hard to catch. When fishing is good, it's good for most everyone. The magic comes from Ma' nature, not you or your stuff. I use a 9 ft. 6 wt. RPL with not one regret in the world. A 9ft. 6" would be better, but I'm not buying another rod just for that. The biggest steelhead stream is not as big as lower Spring or the Little J. or Penns. Not many people use specialty rods there.
I don't think I've ever caught a steelhead on anything besides 4 X tippet. Really, K.I.S.S. Tiny details will count for naught compared to what the water conditions are and how the steelhead act.

And FIGHT the FISH! Use the rod butt. Fight low and off to the side and down. When they are done acting crazy, get them in and get them back.

Syl

Back