Inflatable Drift Boat

jbewley

jbewley

I just purchased a Flycraft, Stealth X. It is 12' long, 56'wide, with front and rear casting braces. Should arrive in a couple of weeks. It will handle Class III rapids (not with me rowing) and will take up to a 6 hp motor. Problem about the motor is it can not weigh more then 30 pounds. I am still working on this. Might have to go to a two stroke. This should be fun.

Jim

where are you going to float first? I want to learn oars pretty bad at some point here

Going to hit Long Pine First. Want to get a feel for it before I try a river.

Thats a decent river to learn on I bet, pretty long flat and not too many obstacles. Let me know if you need a buddy lol

drakeking412 wrote:
Thats a decent river to learn on I bet, pretty long flat and not too many obstacles. Let me know if you need a buddy lol

He's referring to Long Pine which is a reservoir popular with kayakers here in SCPA.

I assume it has a frame and Oars???? Just rented one on the Green River and it was a blast. Very forgiving. put you feet on the braces and pull up stream and you can almost stop it in mid rapids. very forgiving with weight distribution.

Yes, it has oars and I got a trolling motor for it. Hopefully, it will ship the end of this month, but with the increased interest in outdoor activities right now, I don't know.

Very nice. A buddy of mine bought one last year for the sole purpose of being able to launch anywhere. We have drift boats, but this allows us access the places the hard boats cannot go.

You should be fine with a trolling motor as long as there is room for the battery. I guess you have the 3 person model, so with someone in the back maybe not.

Unless you are on a lake then you don't really need a motor anyway.

Any updates on the boat? Guessing you will be / are pleased.

I have had the boat for awhile now and have it set up to my liking. It is the 12’, two person version and is great. Handles very well and does the job intended. I highly recommend the Flycraft.

Jim

I'll add.... keep in mind I've used it 6 times only and this is my first boat. I like the 2 man flycraft stealth a lot. Two people can easy stand and cast at the same time. Floor is rock hard when inflated properly. Roomy enough for two people, especially in the back. Easy to row and maneuver, even for a newbie like me. The frame is study and fits together nicely. It is easy to take down and assemble. I disassemble the frame into three pieces (leave much of the frame intact) to transport in my compact SUV. This speeds the assembly.
What I found:
I stopped taking the gear rack. I can place a cooler and box behind the back seat and tie down with bungie cords. Less things for line to get caught on.
The rear lean bars work well, but you will develop sore legs on long trips. Placing some foam pipe insulation on the points where your legs rest helps a lot.

Pictures pictures pictures. Sounds like a fun craft.

Back