Indicator placement

Coughlin

Coughlin

To all, was wondering for those of you who use indicators where in the rigging you place it and why.
Thanks
Coughlin

1-1/2 to 2 X the water depth.

Assuming the indicator floats (not all do) you are effectively suspending your nymph at the desired depth. The target depth is usually a few inches or less from the bottom. Ideally, your nymph should be tapping the bottom as it drifts as drag-free as possible.

So, the indicator is usually best where csoult said: 1.5x - 2x the depth you are fishing. That's why floating indicators need to be moved constantly to adjust for changing depths.

Ok gentleman, 1-/2 to 2x the watwer depth sounds right (at least that's what I got off the net from Kelly Galloup), but given curent variablity, when, how do you make adjustments?

I start out with 1.5X the depth. But my target most times is to get the nymph to be ticking the bottom. Thats if im fishing a nymph and thats where the fish are feeding. So I will either raise or lower my indicator so i can accomplish this drift. But too much distance between your fly and indicator will cause you to not pickup on strikes. My opinion on most streams is too start out short then work your day down.

Coughlin wrote:
Ok gentleman, 1-/2 to 2x the watwer depth sounds right (at least that's what I got off the net from Kelly Galloup), but given curent variablity, when, how do you make adjustments?

If I am not seeing my indicator twitch at all from occasional bottom contact, I will increase the distance between indicator and fly until I do, a few inches at a time. If it seems like the fly is not getting down to the bottom quickly and I cannot correct this by casting farther upstream and mending line, I will start adding weight. If I start snagging the bottom I will decrease the distance between the indicator weight/fly until it is no longer a problem and also possibly decrease weight. I try to strike a balance between weight and idicator position. Too much of either is not good IMO.

Kev

Back