Indicator help

Tigereye

Tigereye

I am down to my last one of these and cannot locate replacements. From what I understand these were Orvis indicators available in most fly shops by the hundreds in goldfish bowls. I bought a few years ago and have found them to be perfect for heavy water nymphing. They clip on your leader similar to a bobber. They don't kink your leader and are ez on and off and for adjusting depth in addition to floating high and dry.

Any leads as to where I can refill my supplies?? Are they made anymore?

https://m.orvis.com/product/jam-stop-thingamabobber/6A21?item_code=6A215100&adv=127748&cm_mmc=plas-_-FlyFishing-_-6A21-_-127748&gclid=CjwKCAjwmJbeBRBCEiwAAY4VVRVOjScqVeN9my5Zp1u-sJgQsJdFctmfU7xgqSEMOyInIrDPP_paihoC9yYQAvD_BwE

I think this may be what you're after.

Thingamabobbers do kink your line, my guess is it may be the air lock indicators they sell at Orvis, did they have a screw on top?

We use air-lock indicators. Just loosen the nut and slide them up or down your leader. No appreciable kinks.

http://fishairlock.com/

I've never used the jam stop thingamabobbers. Do they still kink your line like the normal ones? I wouldn't think so since you are more or less pinching it to your line instead of twisting love around it.

I will say the air lock looks nicer.

kobalt335 wrote:
I've never used the jam stop thingamabobbers. Do they still kink your line like the normal ones? I wouldn't think so since you are more or less pinching it to your line instead of twisting love around it.

I'm not too fond of the jam stop tb's. I actually just nip the stopper off and use them the regular way.

The air locks are ok. They make a bigger splat when they hit the water and are not as boyant due to the heavier weight.

Since I use leader buts tied with plain old stren for most of my nymphing, I have just stuck with the conventional way of attaching thingamabobbers. If I trash a leader butt every day that I fish, it's no big deal. I'll just tie another for a few pennies worth of mono.

Seriously guys, stop wasting store bought tapered leaders on your nymph rigs.

PennKev wrote:
kobalt335 wrote:

I'm not too fond of the jam stop tb's. I actually just nip the stopper off and use them the regular way.

The air locks are ok. They make a bigger splat when they hit the water and are not as boyant due to the heavier weight.

Since I use leader buts tied with plain old stren for most of my nymphing, I have just stuck with the conventional way of attaching thingamabobbers. If I trash a leader butt every day that I fish, it's no big deal. I'll just tie another for a few pennies worth of mono.

Seriously guys, stop wasting store bought tapered leaders on your nymph rigs.

You're spot on, I cut mine off as well, except for the smallest size where I might be nymphing small flies on a light tippet. I've found they won't catch without the stopper but I don't fish that situation often. I don't like the weight of the airlock either,it won't go over knots and don't like the way it floats but they are good in a couple situations. Just like everything else I have many different indicators in my pack, different tools for different situations.

True, you cannot slide an airlock above or below a knot. Just remove the nut to reposition above or below the knot. Quick and easy for me to do.

Thanks for all your assistance folks. I am looking for one of these. color doesn't matter so much.

Attachments

• indicatorg.jpg
    indicatorg.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 7
Here's a trick I use to rig Thingamabobbers so that the can be adjusted like an airlock. 1. Thread the TB into your leader just as you would if you were using the jamb stopper. 2. Take a thick rubber band that is cut in half to make one long strip. 3. Double over a piece of mono and thread it through the eye of the TB. 4. Stick the rubber band in the loop created by the doubled mono and pull it through the eye of the TB. 4. Clip the ends of the rubber bands leaving about 1/4" tags on each end of the TB eye. Now you have a TB that can be slid up and down the leader and it won't move while casting.

Talked to my friend at Orvis who's worked there for a couple years - didn't even know what that was!

timbow wrote:
Here's a trick I use to rig Thingamabobbers so that the can be adjusted like an airlock. 1. Thread the TB into your leader just as you would if you were using the jamb stopper. 2. Take a thick rubber band that is cut in half to make one long strip. 3. Double over a piece of mono and thread it through the eye of the TB. 4. Stick the rubber band in the loop created by the doubled mono and pull it through the eye of the TB. 4. Clip the ends of the rubber bands leaving about 1/4" tags on each end of the TB eye. Now you have a TB that can be slid up and down the leader and it won't move while casting.

I'll have to give this try. In the past I've used thingamabobbers with a pair of tied bobber stops on the leader to set position. However, the bobber stops require more effort and time in rigging.

Make sure you use thicker rubber bands and it may take trying a few different styles until you find one the works. I found these ones at work that are thick and very narrow, basically square shaped and they work perfect. The other way I used to rig them before I started using the rubber band was to use an old piece of fly line uni-knotted above and below the TB. I saw it in a video on you tube a while back

Back