Indiantown Run access

laurelrun

laurelrun

Anybody have input on how and where to access Indiantown Run? I want to give that water a try sometime but also want to avoid any issues with safety and security restrictions at Ft. indiantown Gap. Would rather know what I'm supposed to do or not do before some nice MP says good morning.

It is legal to fish the stocked stretch (from Marquette Lake inflow up to the Co-Op hatchery at the top of the hill) without a permit from the Gap. Beyond that you’d need a permit from the Gap, and I don’t think they’d let you fish upstream of the bridge at the hatchery anyway. Parking along Rt. 443 (there are many obvious pull offs), along Ammo Rd., or at the hatchery. Just make sure not to park on the tank trails.

Swattie87 wrote:

Just make sure not to park on the tank trails.

Always good advice. :)

Thanks! Will have to check it out.

Any wild fish in there? Is that stream stocked?

I fish it on my lunch hour from time to time. There are a very few wild browns of small dimensions and some wild brookies further upstream into the impact area (do NOT go there!) Hatches are sparse and with most of the fish being put and take from the local club, the standard Adams, Elk Hair Caddis, Pheasant tail, etc. combos work. Casting can be tight in areas above the 443 bridges. A 6-7 foot rod throwing a 3-4 weight would be in order. This poor little stream gets hammered by the locals and will turn into a dirt road with very little rain. The large expanse of clear cutting upstream in the landing zones/impact area making runoff a real issue. If you are in the area early season, try Marquette lake on the north shore, wade out to about waist deep (20 or so yards) and throw a Callibaetis (or just a non beaded GRHE #14) type nymph with a stripped retrieve. You'll see a fair amount of "rises" but the stockers are taking CB emergers just under the film. Keep it on a 4X point as they slam it pretty hard. Watch out for the Power bait hatch which sometimes ensues!

Back