Indian Creek/Camp Run by Jones Mill

P

pjcamper57

Has anyone fished this location? It seems like there's a parking lot and a trial where RT 381 goes over Indian, and it seems like upstream of that should be public land. My plan was to drop in there and walk upstream and possibly walk-up Camp Run as well. Just curious if anyone had any thoughts on this area and what the fishing may look like. I'll be driving from the West side of Pittsburgh, so I wanted to make sure I had at least somewhat of an idea before I headed out. With that said, it seems like there's plenty there if I did have to go exploring. Appreciate any help!

I fished Indian once, upstream of there though, above its last road crossing where it runs up along the TPike toward the top of Laurel Hill. It’s small up there, but nice water. Caught a couple small wild Browns. Wasn’t great fishing, but was a fun area to explore.

I think down between the 381 bridges, where you’re talking, is stocked, but it’s nice looking, slightly bigger, water I recall from driving along it.

Camp Run is tiny. I thought about fishing it too the day I fished Indian, but was turned off by how small it was. It also had two trucks parked in a pull off near it with two guys gearing up. (They may have been walking down into Indian, I dunno, but after seeing how small Camp was, I didn’t bother asking anyway.) Camp is Brookies, I think, but I’d guess there’s likely some Browns in there too with them being in Indian.

I fished Indian once, upstream of there though, above its last road crossing where it runs up along the TPike toward the top of Laurel Hill. It’s small up there, but nice water. Caught a couple small wild Browns. Wasn’t great fishing, but was a fun area to explore.

I think down between the 381 bridges, where you’re talking, is stocked, but it’s nice looking, slightly bigger, water I recall from driving along it.

Camp Run is tiny. I thought about fishing it too the day I fished Indian, but was turned off by how small it was. It also had two trucks parked in a pull off near it with two guys gearing up. (They may have been walking down into Indian, I dunno, but after seeing how small Camp was, I didn’t bother asking anyway.) Camp is Brookies, I think, but I’d guess there’s likely some Browns in there too with them being in Indian.
Ya, it seems like its kind of a tweener area. Going on the state site, it says it has "natural reproduction", so it could hold some wild fish. I've natural repro streams before, and some have definitely held fish, but I don't usually fish any that are also stocked over. It may be an interesting spot to try, and could get some stockies to hold me over if it's a bust haha.

My experience is that camp is very small with small but willing wild brookies and not an easy walk in the snow. But still a fun day. Indian, north of 31 overgrown banks and narrow. Haven't fished (that I remember) too far up Indian for that reason.

I usually fish this stream a couple of times a year. The area where you are talking about is my favorite section. I park at the bridge at camp run and walk a little way south on 381 to a hiking trail that takes you to Indian Creek. You will come to a walking bridge that crosses Indian Creek, I usually walk down stream from there to a point where the stream makes an "S" curve and then fish back up, sometimes to the point where Camp run enters Indian Creek. If I am fishing a streamer I fish from Camp Run down stream. As Tom stated, up stream from the intersection with Camp run it becomes very tight, however I have caught two stocked rainbows that were over 20 inches in this area. Good luck.

My experience is that camp is very small with small but willing wild brookies and not an easy walk in the snow. But still a fun day. Indian, north of 31 overgrown banks and narrow. Haven't fished (that I remember) too far up Indian for that reason.
Overgrown and narrow is the best response. Not too much casting in there. Most of the time
you are bent over just making it through. Deep holes on some of the bends in the stream with
debris. Snakes too.

There are small wild browns in camp run as well as brookies. It’s very tiny though.

Back