In search of affordable waders

tjsingle

tjsingle

Hey guys,

Unfortunately my current pair of waders got a nice 3"x4" hole in them after today.... What is the best bang for my buck chest wader wise. I need a pair of stocking foot waders, preferably $200ish max, maybe a little more if its justifiable.I was looking at LL Bean, Orvis, Redington etc. Just looking for opinions, and experiences.

Thanks-
Tom

LL bean, Check there waders out.

I too would recommend the LLBean's.

I’ll look at them, the only other brand I was looking at was Simms, particularly the Freestone waders.

I have the freestone waders that I bought about a year and half ago and have used them about a dozen times over the past year or so in fresh water only without any serious bushwhacking and they have been just fine. Can't comment on the long term durability but so far so good. Couple of minor annoyances the waders for whatever reason only comes with one belt loop so it's easy to lose a belt...having two belt loops would make it a lot more secure. the other thing is the waders have a zipper on the inside of the chest so you have to buy a pouch attachment if you want a flip pouch. The problem with this is the zipper doesn't feel entirely secure as the zipper slips throughout the day. Would've been great if they just charged $20 more and had a more secure pouch attachment. The nice thing is they are very light and comfortable. I also have g3s and when it warmer out I prefer wearing the free stones. Hope that helps.

That definitely helps. I will look into them.

ryc72 wrote:
I have the freestone waders that I bought about a year and half ago and have used them about a dozen times over the past year or so in fresh water only without any serious bushwhacking and they have been just fine. Can't comment on the long term durability but so far so good. Couple of minor annoyances the waders for whatever reason only comes with one belt loop so it's easy to lose a belt...having two belt loops would make it a lot more secure. the other thing is the waders have a zipper on the inside of the chest so you have to buy a pouch attachment if you want a flip pouch. The problem with this is the zipper doesn't feel entirely secure as the zipper slips throughout the day. Would've been great if they just charged $20 more and had a more secure pouch attachment. The nice thing is they are very light and comfortable. I also have g3s and when it warmer out I prefer wearing the free stones. Hope that helps.

I have LL Beans and have had good results.

I've been wearing Cabelas brand waist high waders for a long time and have been pleased.

You might also look at some of the big box store neoprene waders. They work well in colder weather and are generally much cheaper than breathables these days. Just don't try hiking in 'em in summertime.

Bought my first Cabelas waist highs in 2010. Still going strong, had to patch a seam in one of the neoprene bootie last year with Aquaseal. No problem. Got another pair for Christmas as back-ups, gotta love the lifetime warranty. Cabelas has stood behind every purchase I made. And the price is right.

Try Caddis Systems at caddiswaders.com A few years ago the airline lost one of my bags, I bought a pair for temporary use and ended up using them for a season. They are about half the price of Simms and are not the same quality (Duh) but for the money if you are not too hard on your stuff they might work for you.

Back