in need of new scissors

flipnfly

flipnfly

i am in need of new or multiple pairs of new scissors i would like a set and or the dr slick new razor scissors and was wondering

1 if there was any particular brand that was better than others
and
2 if they are available in a set

whats everyones preferance?

I have two pair of Anvil ice-steel scissors. The first is standard length with a curved blade and the other is the "Mini" with a straight blade. I really like them and they are very sharp. I don't think you can purchase them as a set. I know I did'nt. They cost about $15 to $20 each. I also have a cheap pair of scissors I use to cut wire etc. Good luck in your search.

Hi Flipmeister!

I'm a scissor junkie. I've got several pair of the Dr. Slicks - they're OK, but I much prefer those Anvil scissors. If you want to save some bucks, these are identical to Dr. Slicks (without the little label).

Flyshack scissors

Have no fear - there WILL be a Steelhead Jam this year. Ryan ought to be chompin' at the bit to get out of the house right about then. ;-)

I have Anvil and Dr. Slick. I like the Anvil for the fine thread and gell spun thread I use. They seem to cut cleaner than Dr. Slicks do for those theads. I use the Dr. Slicks for deer hair and 6x and 8x threads.
Like H-A, I have tried many different scissors and one thing is common to all, you get what you pay for. Cheap scissors are just that.

Sierra trading post has Dr. Slicks at rock bottom prices:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Dr-Slick-Company.html

Keep an eye on it, because their inventory is constantly changing.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Hi Flipmeister!

I'm a scissor junkie. I've got several pair of the Dr. Slicks - they're OK, but I much prefer those Anvil scissors. If you want to save some bucks, these are identical to Dr. Slicks (without the little label).

Flyshack scissors

Have no fear - there WILL be a Steelhead Jam this year. Ryan ought to be chompin' at the bit to get out of the house right about then. ;-)

Little do you know... little do you know.

She's not even here yet :)

i like anvil brand sold by wapsi

i use fiskars embroidery shears.

I have purchased a number of pairs of dr slicks off of the sierra trading post site among other things that go on sale. My wife has a sierra credit card and pays no shipping or handling. those scissors for the money are great. I have three pairs of everyone they make and have only used the small curved and the 4 inch hair scissors so far but have been using them hard and I cant find anything bad to say about them.

There may be some better pairs of scissor out there, but I have a pet pair of Dr. Slick scissors that I have been using for 20years +/-. Those Pakistani's sure can make 'em.... :lol:

dr slick does sell sets of different scissors in one package. don't know if it is worth it.
i use a small dr slick for my general work and use a pair of solingen (germany) for my fine work.
the pakistani surgical instruements are second rate when compared to the german or american brands. if you could only get a pair of american made fly tying scissors...
gutcutter

I love the dr slick mitten clamps they are the bomb for steelhead fishing in the winter.

Flipnfly............look around and be prepared to spend some $$$ but German made fly scissors which may cost up to $40.00 are fine enough to cut one hackle barbule at a time and will last a lifetime if taken care of , my experience is that most domestic made ones don't have fine enough tips for fine work , i'd love to be able to "Buy American" but can't find 'em.

osprey - check the link in my post two above yours. Most of the better fly shops carry them, but you can buy direct from that site.

I regularly trim single barbs from size 24 hackle with those scissors. They will also sharpen/rebuild them for you, but I haven't managed to dull mine yet - 10 years and counting...

H.A. ..........Thanks , i will check 'em out but isn't the name Vogel , with 300 years of experience , German? Just kiddin. Thanks.

Get some single edge razor blades - they will do a ton of grunt work and make your clippers last longer.

Bruno.........I , for one , am glad you are back to the Hunter S. pic , and about the razor blades , good idea and i want to say and stress don't use your $40.00 or more scissors to trim stuff like wire , tinsel ,swannundaze etc. feathers only , use the Fiskars for the other stuff.

I have been having good luck with those Anvil scissors, very sharp and great for more intricate cutting.

+1 for Anvil Ice. Great scissors. I love them.

....on a side note......

I do want to try a set of these.
45tungsten200.jpg
They're from singlebarbed and they look awesome. They're getting killer reviews and allow you to keep them in your bobbin hand while you tie.

If I was in the market for new scissors, I'd pick these up.

Back