In Between Bootie Size - Go for Larger or Smaller?

T

tjhcom

Looking for any thoughts and/or experiences regarding wader bootie fit.

I have size 12 feet. Typical sizing of waders is 9-11 and 12-14. The 9-11 is a tight fit. The 12-14s do fit (i.e., not too tight, not too wide) but have a bit of extra material in the toe. Based on this, I would normally select the 12-14s as they do fit without being too tight. One thing I do not want is a wading bootie that is too tight, which I have experienced in the past and do not want to repeat.

As I haven't tried them in water, not sure if water creates enough stretch to make the slightly tight fit of the 9-11 a non-issue. Additionally, that same dynamic could make the 'slop' in the larger wader more of an issue for the larger size (which fits when dry).

Any experience worth noting? Thank you in advance for sharing any thoughts or experiences.

Can you try the waders own with the wading boots you intend to use them with and maybe a pair of heavy socks? If the fit is comfortable then, you should be fine. FWIW, I have size 8-8.5 feet and wear waders with 9-11 booties and do fine, but the Patagonia Foot Tractors that I have are a pretty roomy boot.

Go larger. Because the neoprene booties shrink over time, so will get tighter.

If the booties are a little over-sized that is much less of a problem than if they are too tight.

Yep, larger. Tight = cold (reduced blood circulation).

I also go larger - better a little too loose than too tight.
You can always wear a thicker sock to make up the difference.
And as troutbert mentioned, they seem to shrink a bit after a season of use.

My regular shoe size is 11
For years, I always wore size large waders with a 9-11 bootie size.
Which made for a tight fit with thick socks

Then I gained weight. And started buying X-large waders, with 12-13 booties.
Much more comfortable with heavy socks and easier to get in and out of.
And my feet stay warmer in cold weather fishing.

The extra materiel in the larger bootie has been no problem at all.
Although I do wear a size 12 wading boot

Thank you very much! This is exactly the kind of experience I was hoping to learn.

I like big booties.

Back