Improved Stonefly Nymph Legs - a happy accident

MathFish

MathFish

The recent forum topic of fishing with golden stonefly nymphs got me interested in tying up a few for myself. When I was tying my third one the thread broke as I was tightening my whip finish knot... I grabbed my super glue and bodkin to hopefully repair this unfortunately timed thread break.

I used a bodkin to apply the glue to the thread wraps. After I was finished applying the glue and had put the glue away, I noticed that the previously straight legs near the head of the fly were bent.

For the past few years, I have been using Sexi-Floss to construct the legs on my stonefly nymphs because it often is a little bit curled at the ends and these curled ends have been the closest way I have been able to reasonably mimic the elbows of a stonefly nymph - until today!

After noticing this phenomenon, I put a strand of the Sexi-Floss in my vise and dabbed a spot of super glue onto a spot. Very quickly after applying the glue, a distinct bend in the piece of rubber occurs. The rubber bends outward from where the glue is placed. So, if you imagine holding your arm straight out to mimic the strand of rubber, if you were to put the dab of glue on the outside of your elbow joint, the rubber would become bent in the direction that your arm bends.

Here is a photo of a pre-bent piece of rubber and the same strand with two bends.

48056637933_c1a5cb3f09_k.jpg

48056592056_3f0c9fdb35_k.jpg

I also noticed that if you stretch the piece of rubber, the bend only becomes more pronounced. I thought it might make it straighter, but it only bends more! You can even scrape the bit of glue off the rubber and the bend stays.

I tried this on the black, olive and brown Sexi-Floss that I have and each one bent! The type of super glue that I used was Gorilla Super Glue. That's the only type I have on hand, so I cannot attest to this working with other brands. I also only tried it on Sexi-Floss and not any other types of rubber leg materials. It didn't seem necessary for me to experiment on the other rubber because it works so well with the Sexi-Floss!

I am aware that you can get more realistic stonefly nymph legs using the Lively Legz product, but I never cared to tie with them. The Lively Legz do seem like a good product, but I have caught many fish on nymphs with straight legs and on nymphs with no legs, so I never felt pressure to try them.

Before the bend
48056591316_496ce95514_b.jpg

Now with elbows!
48056637648_25ff27e795_b.jpg

Here is a photo of some of my newest golden stonefly nymphs with bent legs. I am eager to fish them.
48056699502_74895cf6cb_b.jpg

Cool! Test out their durability - I’m sure they will produce. Some of the greatest ideas are born out of a total screw up. Keep us informed after you field test them. Good stuff.

Good stuff.

I've used Superglue to bend other materials as well (usually works better than a hot bodkin). It's handy stuff if you work with a lot of synthetic materials.

I like my flies on the realistic side and your stonefly legs are excellent.

i too have used super glue to bend/hold rubber legs in position

i also use a hot bodkin to bend fly line backing legs as shown below

1bLYyGN.jpg

Mathfish could list your recipe of materials, especially the dubbing color. That's a great looking stonefly nymph.

I will gladly do that for you R1200RT, but I am currently away from home until Monday, so give me a few days to get back with a response.

Thanks, looking forward to tying some up for my nest trip.

Rob

from 2010

http://defranksflytying.blogspot.com/search/label/Knotless%20Jointed%20Rubber%20Legs

Nfrechet, thanks for the link to the rubber bending with super glue link. I figured somebody else out there had to know about that, and that confirmed my suspicions. Also, that’s a very clean stonefly nymph tie!

R1200rt, here is the materials list and some instructions for how I tie my golden stonefly nymphs.

Materials and Method:
- Orvis curved nymph hook 1510 size 12 3x long

- Danville yellow 6/0 thread

- Bead head:
I used the Nymph Head Evolution Mayfly clinger tungsten beadhead size Small in brown. I also put about 10 to 12 wraps of lead free round wire size 0.020 to add some more weight right behind the bead

- Tail: Goose Biots - color Ginger
I use a very thin dubbing noodle behind the lead wraps with a small dubbed ball right at the point the tails split to help keep them split.

- Abdomen: Vinyl D Rib Medium, Ultra Wire Color: rust Size: BR, Dubbing: rabbit Color: golden yellow
I tie a small section of the D-shaped vinyl ribbon BOTH sides of the hook shank to create the width of the abdomen. I tie the D rib near the last lead wrap and cut it off right before the tail being sure that it is fixed on the SIDES of the hook. Then I make thin dubbing noodles of the dubbing and form the abdomen. Then is spiral the ultra wire around the abdomen so that the wraps look natural (maybe about 10 or so evenly spaced wraps).

- Wingcase: Thin Skin Color: Brown cut to the width of the abdomen
I cut a v-shaped notch at the tie in location. I tie it in the top of the shank to be folded over at the last step

- Legs: Sexi-Floss Size: medium, Color: brown
I usually tie in the right side legs starting right behind the bead and then the rear most leg using one single strand. Then I do the same set of legs for the left side. Then I use one strand of rubber for the middle set of legs. This part can be a bit frustrating trying to get the legs spaced and positioned in an acceptable manner...

- Thorax: Ostrich Herl Color: brown
I use one or two strands and spiral around the leg area going in between the legs and tie off at the bead.

To finish the tie, I fold the wingcase over and tie it down. Sometimes I will fold it back and cut a notch out to mimic the wing pads a little bit... I will whip finish and a a small touch of dubbing to attempt to hid the thread wraps.

Once this is all tied off, then I use the super glue to put in the elbows/knees on the legs and cut them to size.

In all, if I am working quickly and things are going smoothly, these take me 15 to 20 minutes each...

I don’t like it when I loose one through a cast into a tree branch or a snag on the streambed, but I get over it.

I also have found brown abdomens with gold wire works well. I also have tie them with olive green abdomens and black wire with black legs and black bead heads is a nice color combination.

Good luck!

MathFish,
Great instructions, very detailed! I can see why you feel bad if you loose one. Thank you so much.

Rob

Back