Impossible!!!!

mute

mute

Fished Valley Creek today as it was cool. Man i almost wanted to quit fly fishing. There were so many nice browns but i just dont understand how you get in any position to fish for them. They were all chillen with schools of suckers. A size 16 nymph hits the water, boom spooked, and whats worse is the suckers spooked the trout multiple times.

It's possible. Just not easy. I got one last time on a foam ant. I just move alot, and don't dwell on one fish that you can't quite reach. It's not exactly the easiest time of year to catch em.

I posted this before but can't remember where, but I've found a very tedious, but effective way to catch those browns amongst schools of suckers, and I did it at valley a lot.

If the browns are hanging out with suckers, they are most likely in very slow water. Tie on some midges (do not use anythig less than a #20) and place a little bit or biostrike foam about 3ft from your highest fly (or you can tie on an egg as your top fly to act as an indicator for the dropper). Cast to them like a normal nymph, and watch the indicator for the slightest twitch. If the indicator makes any small movements, set the hook. It'll be a false alarm a lot of the time, and other times you may foul-hook suckers, but you can catch those trout that way.

Last winter I would sit by schools of suckers/browns and use that technique. The key is patience and perserverence. I would probably spend 3 hours with one school, maybe throwing 100 casts at them, and get 2-3 browns. Might not be the most efficient method of fishing, but it worked for me.....

Oh, I should mention that I would never make an exsessive amount of casts like that when nymphing in any situation except this one. Usually I give a good hole 10 casts max with a certain fly before I change. In this case, however, the fish aren't very inclined to eat, so you have to get the midges right infront of their face, which can take several casts.

Dude,

I've used that exact same method in Hay creek for a long time. A zebra midge does best for me. I just watch for their mouths to flare a bit and set the hook.

Back