I'm lazy

L

Lkyboots

We all have different reasons we ended up being fly fisherman but I have to admit the main reason I started fly fishing is because it was easy and cheaper than bait fishing. I could throw a fly rod and reel in my trunk, a couple dozen flies, some leader and split shot, waders and I was ready to fish. I didn't have to set minnow traps or catch night crawlers.

I used to have a couple of Mudler minnows, some hare ear nymphs, a few dry flies, Woolley worms, and easy peasy, I was fishing. I was in fly fishing heaven with streams full of Trout and no other fisherman. When I started to tie it was way cheaper, a couple hundred dollars worth of material and I had flies galore. Squirrel tails were free and Pheasant tails were easy to come by. The only thing was there wasn't anyone else my age to fly fish with. No lessons, everything I did was trial and error and watching TV and reading a few books on how to tie. It was Heaven for the next thirty years.

When the movie A River runs trough it came out I noticed the streams getting crowded with fly fisherman with all the new equipment and the latest rods. I never thought how lucky I was early on and how fly fishing became a lot more as I got older. My son started fly fishing with me and as soon as he graduated he headed to Montana to be a Fly fishing guide and guide Elk hunters. He had a hard time making a living and ended up building log homes in Big Sky Montana. He came home and married his high school sweetheart. It's funny how I started something because I was lazy and fly fishing ended up being a whole lot more and became who I am. Now I'm content to catch a few and sit and watch the stream roll by. Keep a tight line. Will Shaver

I'm still lazy.lol

^ All true!

Given the high price of lures and buying bait, just pony up once for a modestly priced fly outfit, tie your own flies, and you can fish way cheaper than the elite high-spending spin guys, anyday! :)

Pretty much me too.

I actually used to be sort of against fly fishing,as most I met that were into it were snotty elitists.

When I started,flies were about a dollar apiece.

So,I was shopping for lures and line with about $60 worth of equipment,and headed to the register at a major outfitters.

Passed a fly rod combo on sale for $40.
A light bulb went off. The combo and a dozen flies was cheaper than all the junk I had....

Not having to look for or store bait anymore? I was hooked!

I’ve always found that flyfishing was cheaper than buying a log home in Big Sky, Montana too. But, there’s no reason you can’t do both.

https://www.trulia.com/p/mt/big-sky/440-mountain-valley-trl-big-sky-mt-59716--2056685516

He got to build some of the cabins in the Yellowstone Club. He worked for Rocky Mountain Rustics. Nobody working in Big Sky could afford to live there, the workers got bussed in from Four Corners about sixty miles away.

Back