I'm in love

just_jon

just_jon

Got home from work today to find my new Greys XF2 Streamflex 11 foot 3 weight waiting on the porch. Grabbed the dog and made a mad dash for Green Spring to give it a whirl. First mpression is very favorable. It casts a tandem weighted nymph set up effortlessly. Extra length really comes in handy even on a small creek like Green Spring. Cannot wait to try it on bigger water like the Little J or Pine Creek. Think I've hot a winner.

Now for the problem. I've paired the rod with my Orvis Battenkill LA II, but still need a bit more weight to properly balance out the extra length. Balance point is about 1-1/2" in front of handle. My next step up is a Battenkill LA IV for 8/9/10 weight lines. Any thoughts on adding weight short of buying another reel?

Put leadcore trolling line on under your backing. It sounds stupid but probably would work.

Great idea. I have some laying around from when my dad and I used to troll for Canadian lakers back in the 60's.

I just received my 10 ft 4 wt Allen Myth rod today. I tried my standard 4 wt reel on it and it's just not heavy enough for the longer rod. I have a 5/6 and a 7/8 reel I'm not using right now, so I ordered a new 4 wt line to spool on the reel that best balances my new rod. I can't wait to try it out!

I posted about this in another thread. I can not find a logical reel to balance my 10'6 echo.

Alby - You're gonna love that new Allen Myth. Mine balances perfectly with a 5/6 - about an inch down from the top of the cork.

The initial impression I gave you is proving to be very accurate. It's very light, especially for a 10' rod. It feels like fishing a 9' rod, and it's easy to hold it up when high sticking. I'm gonna take it to work and weigh it on a certified scale. I'm betting it's significantly lighter than Allen states on their website.

Another thing I'm really liking is how accurate it can cast a dry fly. Ten foot and over rods are usually not the best choice for throwing dries, but this one does exceptionally well - all the advantages of a longer rod, with none of the disadvantages. Everyone that I've let cast it has really liked how it casts.

When I first picked the rod out of the rack, I tapped the tip on the carpet, and was amazed with how much feel was transmitted to the cork. This has translated well to nymphing - my Streamflex 10' 3wt felt "dead" compared to the Myth.

For those that care about such things, yes, I'm in Allen's pro deal program. This has no effect on my opinion of this rod, and I'm sure Justin would want the truth, even if it was a bad report. So far, this rod is awesome!

I'll be writing up a detailed review this weekend, and hopefully you can add to my review.

H.A.

Balancing is over rated i really feel you are better going with a lighter real and just fishing it. These long rods are not designed for casting long distances. They are a nymphing tool and really you only need to lob or roll your flies for the most part. I have been fishing 10' plus rods for almost 5 years now and gave up on getting them balanced in a hurry. keep it simple and just fish the blance pint being a couple inches above the handle really make no difference. Just my thoughts on this.

i balanced mine with a redington AL 3/4, perfect balance now..Balance has some factor in casting but It is over rated at times, get it close and it will work..

MHanes,
I plan to throw distance with mine, dry flys at 50 feet+, also single or double wets, and nymphs..

Yeah, it looks like my old Allen XL 5/6 is gonna do the trick. Just waiting for the new line now.

I have the 10 foot 4 wt streamflex and put a hardy 5000dd on it and balances almost perfectly. the 6000dd might do a little better job but without having the reel in hand i couldn't say for sure. i did read somewhere once that if you take your rod weight and times it by two that would give you a close idea on what you want your reel weight to be.

as far as balancing your setup, i feel if its 9 foot or less go with the lightest possible. but once you go over that your most likely have a nymph only setup. which involves hi sticking. spend any amount of time on the water doing this and having a noticeable tip heavy setup and you won't be as pleased as if you spent the time putting something together that has some balance. yes the overall setup will weigh more but it balancing better in hand will have a better feel. but this is just what i have personally experienced

i went with the tfo professional series after wantitng to be able to reach further while nymphing i dont plan to go back to a shorter rod unless fishing dries exclusively i dont know how i fished with anything shorter ever now to work on my techniques more ....

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
Put leadcore trolling line on under your backing. It sounds stupid but probably would work.

I've done that with cortland lead core spooled under a Cortland 444 Peach floating line.
The dyes from the trolling line bled. I now have purple backing and a purplish pink Corland 444 floater. :)

Back