If it aint chartreuse...it aint no use

Using chartreuse flies in stained water goes against conventional angler wisdom to use darker flies that create a larger "silhouette"...

wgmiller wrote:
Using chartreuse flies in stained water goes against conventional angler wisdom to use darker flies that create a larger "silhouette"...

In stained water I usually try black or dark colors first but I've had days where chartreuse or other bright colors worked best under those conditions.

I did a paper way back in college about trout vision.. I don't recall all the details, it was a long time ago, but it goes beyond what colors penetrate water in IR/UV, etc, and right to biology of a trout.

The rods in the eye detect black and white, while cones detect color. We actually have 3 different types of cones, one of each sensitive to wavelengths corresponding to red, green, and blue. The 3 primary colors of light!

We tend to think of animals as either colorblind or color sensitive. But animals which see colors don't do so the same that we do. Depending on the cones in their eyes, they may have different primary colors than humans do. And there doesn't have to be 3, there can be 1 or 7 primary colors!

Trout it turns out have 4 cones. They are weaker than we are at discerning shades of green, and stronger at shades of red, especially what we would say is a dark, blood red is very bright to them. They also see UV, which we cannot.

With weak in green, strong in red, whats half way between? Yellow! greens look more yellowish to them, yellows look more red. Does that mean they like yellow? Have to ask a trout to know that.

My favorite “cool” (say 40-55 degree weather) fishing shirt is a dark maroon breathable quarter zip. Think it’s actually branded for runners. Not the most camo in color, but it’s the most comfortable fishing shirt I own for that temp range. With a standard synthetic base layer I’m never hot while hiking, or cold when I stop to eat lunch, in that shirt. Always figured it was drab enough color wise to not hurt my stealth. Might need to rethink that now.

Back