Ideas for Cabin Fever this Year

DaveKile

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
I want to thank Alex Ciocca (Drakeking412) for his recent article in the blog - Seven Ideas For Cabin Fever This Winter. Alex approached me a couple of weeks ago offering to write a few ideas on the topic that he thought would be helpful to others.

Please take a read his post and feel free to share some of your ideas for cabin fever in this thread here.

I forget the movie, but Clint Eastwood said; "A man has to know his limitations." Mine are first and foremost basic fly casting and knot tying.

I ty the non-slip, trilene, and improved clinch knots every time I sit at the computer at least once.

I really need to improve my fly casting. I watch videos on You Tube constantly, but that is not the same as actually fly casting.

I never really learned how to properly fly cast and know that I need professional instruction to correct every bad mistake that I have in my inventory. I even bought wrist braces at CVS. I am working with Orvis, TCO, and my local fly shop on just basic casting lessons.

I really want to improve at what I love to do.

Great thread, great list. I'm already checking the box on a couple of those ideas:

Just sold a number of my classic 4 piece Fenwicks that aren't in my rotation any longer as well as a handful of classic tuna can reels.

I planned a new route on a pretty aggressive Lehigh Gorge stream this summer but never fished it. I'm thinking as early as this Friday (things look to be warming up a bit) I might hike it while the leaves are down and drop my important waypoints. I'll bring a rod but it'll probably stay in its case.

I've tied for a long time and still tie pretty regularly but absolutely hate elk hair. I'm looking to get a little better at that this winter. Maybe . . .

I don't really get any cabin fever - I am fishing year-round

After Christmas, I'll clean gear, organize boxes and prepare for 2021. I hope to do some tying before the eyes are completely shot.

The list left out everyone's favorite: "rant a lot on-line."

Canoetripper wrote:
I forget the movie, but Clint Eastwood said; "A man has to know his limitations." Mine are first and foremost basic fly casting and knot tying.

I ty the non-slip, trilene, and improved clinch knots every time I sit at the computer at least once.

I really need to improve my fly casting. I watch videos on You Tube constantly, but that is not the same as actually fly casting.

I never really learned how to properly fly cast and know that I need professional instruction to correct every bad mistake that I have in my inventory. I even bought wrist braces at CVS. I am working with Orvis, TCO, and my local fly shop on just basic casting lessons.

I really want to improve at what I love to do.

I am in the same boat with casting. I learned enough to get myself started many years ago, I even improved some of what I have done recently, but I think I need to look at the fundamentals again. Kinda start over and build back up to get to the next level. I'd be interested in what videos you liked.

Call your nearest state, county or local park and get permission to cut invasive bittersweet vines. Good exercise and great days out in the winter, especially in the snow. Don't use poison, don't pull them down. Just cut if they are 1" or over and both the tops and roots will dia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MFWVsoGYYE

https://trid.trb.org/view/1411109

dkile,

I apologize for taking so long to reply. I don't remember the exact You Tube video, but will find it. What mesmerized me the most was just casting with the fore arm, both back cast and fore cast.

Watching the You Tube video, I knew right away that I started my back cast too high, and used too much wrist. I can correct these flaws which are typical of an uncoached beginner.

I want those perfect tight loops like everyone else. I will get there. I know that I need professional lessons to show me what I am doing wrong and correcting it to get it right.

I have purchased two wrist bands to restrict wrist movement from the local CVS to control my wrist movement, which I think will help.

I can always practice at my R&G club. I just want to do this when the wind isn't a factor, which will be a lot harder to schedule in winter weather.

I am sure that other fellow board members reading this post want both myself and dkile to upgrade our casting level and skills to get where we know we need to be, and will welcome all of your advise to get us there.

CT

Edit note:

Another major flaw that I know I have is controlling the fly line as I make the cast. Any and all help is welcome.

Removing the barbs on all of my flies. I watched a You Tube video on how to correctly do this. There is a little bit more involved then just bending them down, but not much. It was very informative and it really works. And, I think that it will really help me in case I accidentally hook myself.

Back