Ideal trout temperature in southeastern PA?

R

Rexmobile

Hey all. I wanted to ask about temperature. Can you tell me what the ideal temperature range is for trout? I will do much of my fishing in southeastern Pennsylvania. I just wanted to know when trout will stop biting if it is too hot or too cold. Thanks!

The ideal range is about 55 to 65 degrees. I believe it's a little bit lower for brookies. There's no definite point where they will stop feeding. As it gets colder they will get more sluggish and feed less. As it gets warmer the oxygen content will drop and they will feed less. But I would say that below 45 degrees don't expect much action. And don't fish above about 70 degrees if you plan on releasing the trout because it's a risk to their health and survival, due to the low oxygen levels.

keeping in mind, that's WATER temperature. If you're asking about air temperature, it doesn't matter all that much. If the water's good, the fish will eat. Carry a stream thermometer or check online before you fish.

Thanks for clarifying that, Jay. Rex may have really been scratching his head on that one!

brook trout-will not thrive in water bodies where the temperature rises above 68 degrees. Preferred water temperature 52°-56°F.

brown trout-(60°-70°F).

rainbow trout- Rainbows prefer water from 55 to 60 F, and will tolerate temperatures up to 75.

these are the ranges by species. as stated i wouldnt fish if the water is in the 70 degree mark.

go by species though, this is what i try to do.

Rexmobile,
Stick with the limestoners in SE PA. You have a few to chose from and you shouldn't have to worry about killing a trout if you play him as the water temps don't usually reach the 70 deg. mark. Unless we have a major drought, the limestoners in our region fish well all year long.

I agree with not fishing for trout when the water is above 70 degrees. In SE PA, during the summer, fish limestone streams very early in the morning.

And don't forget bass fishing! They're in the Delaware, Schulykill, Susquehanna, Conestoga etc.

I always have been under the asumtion that 70 degs. is the death zone for trout. Yesterday fishing an aproved trout stream that also host smallies, white fish ,sunnys and the usual other fishes I caught a 15" rainbow on a size 6 bee popper, the water temp at that location was 73 degs!!!!!!. The fish was firm and looked in perfect heath . Go figure.

Must have been one of those rainbows brought in from South carolina... :-D

I've been out in 112 degree heat...and while continued exposure to that would be fatal, it does fluctuate during hte day and by location in the stream. I once saw a PFBC conservation officer take the temp by the bank of a lake before stocking one fall. He said it was 70 degrees. We agreed that it would be bad to stock those fish. So he walked over to the dock and dropped the thermometer about 5 feet down and found it 65 degrees there. He relocated the truck and pumped them in. That same 73 degree reading you got may have been 68 overnight. They'll move and find thermal refuge.

I believe the maximum lethal limit of water temperatures for rainbow trout is around 75-77 degrees farenheit. The maximum lethal limit means death is certain if the temperatures remain at or above the limit for 48 hours (maybe 24 hours, memory is foggy here). If temperatures peak at the MLL even every day for several weeks, the trout can and will survive, though it is true that they are under stress and the weak, sick and diseased trout may die, but it is not a certainty.

JackM wrote:
I believe the maximum lethal limit of water temperatures for rainbow trout is around 75-77 degrees farenheit. The maximum lethal limit means death is certain if the temperatures remain at or above the limit for 48 hours (maybe 24 hours, memory is foggy here).

I believe the proper term for this is "poached" or at least that what they call it on the Food Channel. I'd also say it's probably closer to 24 hours.

See, this is what I mean, in our zeal to be conservation oriented, we sometime apply misinformation and exaggerations.

Poaching in best done at 160-180 degrees F and for only a few minutes: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/PoachingSimmeringBoiling.htm

Rexmobile,

I also use the rule of thumb that trout fishing should cease if water temperatures are 70 F or higher.

Trout can and will be active in temperatures higher than that in some cirucumstances, based on factors such as conditioning, aeration, genetic strain, etc. But in general, over 70 F, to the extent of the excess, results in diminishing returns from a sporting perspective, and also from a trout survival perspective.

As for the lower temperatures, it really depends on the stream. Rules of thumb there have to take into account the temperature range for the stream in question, and how its hatches and other aquatic life react to those changes. I again use a rule of thumb of no fishing under about 45 degrees, but that does not mean I wont go out and look for risers to midges and will happily fish in water colder than that if the fish are willing. Some of the big tailwaters don't run much higher than that anyway.

I always carry a thermometer and take readings throughout the day. It does not have to be an expensive thermometer. I think I paid about $2.50 for mine. I got it from a shop but I think it was designed for photographers.

The bible on trout and water temperature is the first chapter of Joe Humphreys's Trout Tactics, Updated and Expanded ed. Strongly recommended.

Back