Ida & Penns

S

Sylvaneous

Looks like Ida and the following cold front will re-set Penns for the fall, so long as we don't get much more heat later.
In my experience, Penns seemed to need something seasonal like a heavy rain and/or cold temps, then it would just switch modes from giving up smaller fish to the bigger boys getting caught again.

if the forecast is right with 3-5 inches of rain, that should push Penns up for the next week or 2. By the time it will be fishable again, it will be in the middle of September.

I drove through Weikert last night and temped it out of curiosity - 72.8 degrees at 8:30 pm.

It will be up a few thousand cfs by morning. My oh my.

Totally, over 2K right now and it's still raining. And highs in the mid-70s and lows in the 50's forecast for the foreseeable future....

Man I cannot wait to get back there.

Boy's, a reminder-----Stream on the rise, fish , fish, fish. Stream on the fall, girls, chores and cooking supper.

Rise and shine.

man i really wish i was up there this morning i bet it was a phenomenal streamer day

I was just there for 3 full days (9/16, 9/17, & 9/18). Fished the Delayed Harvest & general reg areas near the tunnel. Caught zero trout. Water temps were 58-62. Saw Isos and BWOs coming off. Not much rising. Had 2 spin fishermen and 2 fly fishers and none of us caught trout. I suck at fly fishing but the other 3 are accomplished anglers so take it fwiw. Hope it was just an abberation. Saw a guide fishing there all morning with a customer and it didnt appear they were doing well, although we gave them plenty of space.

Interested to see if anyone else has been out recently. I will be going back in a few weeks to try it again.

I fished a stream this evening that is very similar to Penns in many ways and......... I caught 0 trout. I didn't get a bite. I tried a lot of stuff. Sometimes, that's just fishing. I didn't even spook or see a trout..flows were great. I wouldn't really want any higher flows.

Glad I’m not the only one. I was on Penns near there 9/17 and 9/18 and only caught 3 small browns between 10-12”. I also caught 3 chubs, which seemed weird - on 9/12 I couldn’t not catch chubs. That day I also caught more trout, but most were under 12”. I did hook a good one but it spit the hook when it jumped.

The temps and flows have been great lately, along with decent hatches. On 9/12 the hatch at dusk was nuts and fish were rising like mad. They liked my cahill. On 9/17-18 though the bugs came off earlier in the day (almost no cahills tho) and nada was happening at dusk, except for some little yellow crane flies. Maybe it’s just the transition to fall. Last year, pre-spawn fishing was pretty sweet.

I went to State College for the PSU Auburn game this weekend and carved out some time to fish Penns on the way up Friday afternoon. Fished above Poe Paddy and had about a half mile of water completely to myself. I saw zero bugs in the air and zero rises. Around 2pm I landed a 12" brown (and about 5 chubs) on a nymph in some slow water, then nothing until around 5pm when I found a fast shallow riffle that was full of small fish - caught 3 browns and 2 rainbows there, all under 10". Water was nicely off color and pushing pretty good with temps in the low 60's. I also fished Bald Eagle Creek in Milesburg on Sunday morning before heading home. Fished from around 9am-12pm, saw very few bugs and caught no fish. Flows were good and water temp was high 50's. It was only my second time on Penns and my first on Bald Eagle, so I can't speak to any changes Ida caused.

Clams wrote:
I went to State College for the PSU Auburn game this weekend and carved out some time to fish Penns on the way up Friday afternoon. Fished above Poe Paddy and had about a half mile of water completely to myself. I saw zero bugs in the air and zero rises. Around 2pm I landed a 12" brown (and about 5 chubs) on a nymph in some slow water, then nothing until around 5pm when I found a fast shallow riffle that was full of small fish - caught 3 browns and 2 rainbows there, all under 10". Water was nicely off color and pushing pretty good with temps in the low 60's. I also fished Bald Eagle Creek in Milesburg on Sunday morning before heading home. Fished from around 9am-12pm, saw very few bugs and caught no fish. Flows were good and water temp was high 50's. It was only my second time on Penns and my first on Bald Eagle, so I can't speak to any changes Ida caused.

Ida didn't cause any changes, really, just gave all our central PA streams great flows going into autumn. Streams are often pretty skinny this time of year.

Totally. Penns was 230 or so this evening, clearer, and the fish were on. What a difference a couple days makes. I only got to fish for two hours but it was an eventful two hours. Some of them were decent too, better than the 10-12” fish I’ve been catching.

Back