ID these waders + can't decide on new pair

mute

mute

So it's been 5-6 years and my Simms are finally done. Ive solved the pin hole leaks using aquaseal all over the front but booties are now getting wet. I was hoping for $600 they would of lasted closer to 10 years but maybe that's not realistic. I never really bushwhacked in them, just had a lot of local stocked outtings.
I don't remember which model these were can anyone take a crack?

And secondly I'm having a hard time choosing a replaceable pair. I'm stick between another pair of Simms, trying out patagonias or these new hyped Dryft waders. If the dryfts were $100 cheaper if pull the trigger on them. But they are about the same price as simms anyway and I feel like goretex is the best abrasive resistant material, thoughts?

Ideally I want something that will last and I want reliable fast warranty / replacement service on them when if do start to go.

Those are the older style Simms G3 waders. I got 10 years out of my pair. The new ones in my opinion are not as good but its still what I use.

Definitely G3s. Have an identical pair in my garage. Started to leak sooner than I would have hoped too. Think I found some pinholes and patched them and they were fine for warm weather. Long story short - bought an older pair of Patagucci waders with a zipper when the Simms started to leak. The zipper handle broke on my first outing. To Patagucci's credit they ended up replacing them with their new Swiftcurrent model. I declined the zipper version after my bad experience with the older model. The Swiftcurrent's are a bit of a PITA to get on and off. The suspenders don't have buckles - I guess you're just supposed to used the feature that loosens them for waist high use and shimmy in and out. They do have loops and a hook to adjust the suspender length and I usually undo one of those when nature calls. They fit snug which I like most of the time but I am a fairly thin guy. In summary - I'll go back to Simms for my next waders.

If you send them back to Simms, they maybe able to replace the booties for you.
Of course, you will likely be charged for it.
That's always been my experience with them, anyway.

They might also offer to sell you a new pair directly for like 30% off.
Which I've taken them up on before.

Another option:
Bootie leaks are easy to find. And can usually be repaired.
Unless they're leaking on the seam, which makes it rather dicey.

Personally, I would try the last option first

bigjohn58 wrote:
Those are the older style Simms G3 waders. I got 10 years out of my pair. The new ones in my opinion are not as good but its still what I use.

Thanks!

McSneek wrote:
Definitely G3s. Have an identical pair in my garage. Started to leak sooner than I would have hoped too. Think I found some pinholes and patched them and they were fine for warm weather. Long story short - bought an older pair of Patagucci waders with a zipper when the Simms started to leak. The zipper handle broke on my first outing. To Patagucci's credit they ended up replacing them with their new Swiftcurrent model. I declined the zipper version after my bad experience with the older model. The Swiftcurrent's are a bit of a PITA to get on and off. The suspenders don't have buckles - I guess you're just supposed to used the feature that loosens them for waist high use and shimmy in and out. They do have loops and a hook to adjust the suspender length and I usually undo one of those when nature calls. They fit snug which I like most of the time but I am a fairly thin guy. In summary - I'll go back to Simms for my next waders.

Guess no fancy Pataguccis are in my future then.

dryflyguy wrote:
If you send them back to Simms, they maybe able to replace the booties for you.
Of course, you will likely be charged for it.
That's always been my experience with them, anyway.

They might also offer to sell you a new pair directly for like 30% off.
Which I've taken them up on before.

Another option:
Bootie leaks are easy to find. And can usually be repaired.
Unless they're leaking on the seam, which makes it rather dicey.

Personally, I would try the last option first

I probably should of sent these back last year when i did all the aqua seal patching on them myself. Im assuming they will always charge you some $30 deductable or some BS to have something repaired. I thought the whole point of paying an arm and a leg for waders was because youre paying for the quality of the apparel + the warranty. If their repair service isnt user friendly or desireable why even bother paying $600 for SIMMS at that point. Can get a 6 pairs of amazon waders for that and theyd probably last the same 5-6 years. Use a new pair every damn year.

Is there 30% off directly offer on inflated priced waders from them? Or the same price that TO resells for?

Do you know how much they charge to fix just the booties?

It's been awhile since I've returned waders.
But I recall them charging me $75 to replace both booties.
Add in the shipping and insurance, you're talking $100 - and likely more now.
IMO, prolly not worth it for 6 year old waders.

I agree about their warranty not being great.
But they do make the best waders IMO.

My first pair of guide waders were returned to them after almost 10 years of use, practically half covered with aqua seal patches.
And they called me to say that they were beyond repair.
And offered me new ones at 30% off list price - which I took.
And got the G4 Z's.

They're almost ten years old now. And I've made numerous repairs to them too.
They're about at the end of the road now though
When that time comes, I might send them back just to see if they offer the same discount again.

Meanwhile, I bought a pair of headwater waders about 5 years ago, which I use as backups, and in warmer weather
And have been happy with them, only having to patch a few pinhole leaks after the past few seasons

FWIW, I had the booties replaced on my G3's and got another 5 or 6 years out of them- the leaks were in the crotch due to break down of the material. Back then I think I paid 70.00 plus my shipping costs (they returned them on their dime).
So, I would argue 90.00 for 5-6 years was worth it

Another vote for sending back to Simms for replacement booties. They fully go over your waders and repair any leaks in addition to replacing the booties. I think mine are coming up on their 13th birthday. Started to get wet in my last 2 outings so they are probably on their way out. I did buy a pair of the old ones when they were being closed out. They have been sitting for years waiting their turn.

MAKE SURE YOU THOROUGHLY HAND WASH THEM BEFORE YOU SEND THEM BACK FOR SERVICE.... INSIDE AND OUT. If they smell like a dumpster, they'll just send them back to you. LoL

I sent a 9 year old pair of g4s to Simms in March and they sent me a brand new pair of g4s for free. I have 2 pairs of g4s and a pair of g3s in the rotation and all have been registered and sent for repairs so that may have played a role. You have nothing to lose by sending them back.

You can spend a little for waders that last weeks or months or spend a lot for waders that last years or even more than a decade and which can be repaired years after the purchase for a fraction of the cost of buying a new pair.

I need new waders, was thinking Patagonia because I lke my foot tractors so much, now thinking simms again after reading this

I replaced my booties about 9 years ago an a pair of original Guide waders they are at least 15 years old and still kicking . I always hang them up inside out for a day then hang them the right way for them to dry. I always store them hanging. Wash them once a year and use Revivx on them.
I am baffled at how long they have lasted. And I do fish,. averaged over 50 days a year in them.
c

Whats the idea behind hanging them inside out? Obviously the waders are wet on the outside, I would think hanging up up normal would let them officially dry. I would think turning them inside out would benefit the inner smells, but then keep the outsides still wet.

Dries the perspiration out of the waders and keeps them from molding on the inside.

timmyt2 wrote:
I need new waders, was thinking Patagonia because I lke my foot tractors so much, now thinking simms again after reading this

Simms are the only waders I've had last for me.

However, I recently bought Patagonia waist highs.
After one season of use, they've been fine. Although I didn't use them much.
Time will tell.

And Patagonia seems to have an iron-clad guarantee

Back