I need wading boots

T

timmyt

Mine are way past their prime. Cabelas felt soles, gotta be 10 years old easy, been meaning to get new ones for a while. Not looking to spend a ton but want something quality. Would rather spend a bit more than save 20 to end up with total junk.

Any suggestions? Looking to avoid felts this time obviously. Want something light and easy to move in, i am middle aged and a pretty good wader ::knocks on wood::

Thank you

I wear Simms Guide boots w/felt bottoms, they've served me well. 8 years on my current pair.
If you got 10 years out of your old boots, I'd go back to them if they're available.
I won't give up my felts, I take care of my gear after every outing.

Korkers, devils canyon or Darkhorse models.

Felt soles should have their own thread, mine on my Korkers lasted awhile but got too mucked up to be useful after some time, even though I had cleaned them.

I think you're lucky if you got 10 years out of one pair of boots, felts or not. Korkers are a decent boot, mine with inter-changable soles ran about $100. I'm now on my 2nd pair after about 4 years.

I did give up on felt soles, I trounce through too much muck, I have the cleated versions.

10 years from a pair of boots? I've been through every major brand and most didn't make it 10 months much less 10 years. Korkers are the best I've used and if they last 18 months I'm happy. In 18 months I should get 60 days on the water. Most of the rivers I fish are moderate to difficult wading. I could see if I only fished spring, big spring, breeches etc how they could last a longer time. I think how aggresive you wade plays a big part in it too.

I dont average too much time on the water each year, those boots may have had 60 trips on them over the 10 years total. Especially the last few years with a little one at home, a few days a year is all i can do

Like Sheehan said, 18 months is the HOLY GRAIL of boots for some of us. He loves Korkers, I owned one pair of the KGBs (higher end Korkers) and they lasted about 5 trips before busting out and they were uncomfortable. I got my money back thank God.

I had two pairs of Simms Freestones and the bottoms wore out before the boots. Which is unreal for me.

I went to a higher end Simms the last couple years (Simms Vapor) lighter and really comfortable but they busted out the sides again.

This Xmas I went back to the Freestones. They are heavier and will tire me out quicker but they will protect my foot better against the North Branch and Yough boulders and will hopefully not bust out at the seams.

What does his all mean? I have a flat foot and a collapsing arch so I bust the insides of my boots out if they aren't really tough. You may have a narrow foot and may not walk a ton of miles like I do, so its going to be different for everyone. You get what you pay for though!

*Worth noting I don't use felt, so that could change things for you.

I definitely want to get away from felts

On my second pair of Simms G3 guide boot and have a used pair of Rivershed models.

My next pair will probably be these...http://chotaoutdoorgear.com/shop/footwear/stl-plus-wading-boot/

Not stylish but know several guys that have had them for 10 yrs or more.

I use Simms Guide Boots and the vibram soles wear out long before the boots will go. I hike quite a bit in my boots and spend a lot of time on the water. I walked a pair flat and still wore them a year after with studs providing my only traction.

I got the new G3 Guide boots and my only complaint so far is that they don't allow for a flexible pattern of putting in cleats now. Before you could put in studs or cleats in any of the pattern holes and now you are forced to put studs in the middle holes and cleats on the outside.

I have a pair of freestones as well and I don't feel like they are as comfortable or give anywhere near as good of support as the Guide Boots do.

krayfish2 wrote:
On my second pair of Simms G3 guide boot and have a used pair of Rivershed models.

My next pair will probably be these...http://chotaoutdoorgear.com/shop/footwear/stl-plus-wading-boot/

Not stylish but know several guys that have had them for 10 yrs or more.

Those chotas are higher end than the pair of chotas I bought, but nevertheless the pair I bought literally started to crack and rip at the point were the toe part bends the first time I wore them, just a heads up. Those look like higher quality though

I too wore a Simms guide boot to flat soles, 3 years of light fishing. Probably 40 trips overall.

But I did buy another pair of the new guide boot.

Considering going the wet wading route this year for mountain streams. If so, I'll probably buy a dedicated wet wading boot. Lighter and more mobile, and take all that rock hopping wear off the guide boots.

I've had the following boots:

Cloudveil ultra light felt - ok wore out after a year
Weinbrenner borger studded felt - nice, 3 years before sides blew out and felt/studs wore down
Chota stl plus studded felt - boot was very durable. Felt worn down after 2 years hard use. I can put cold cutters in them and still use them but the grip isn't very good
Patagonia rock grip with bars - boot is blowing out after a year. Bars are pretty worn. Not my favorite
Danner rivergripper felt - good shape after a year. I'd get these again if they still made them. Studded felt would be better.

Boot wise (not counting sole) the danners and chotas were the best. The cloudveils were the worst and the patagonias 2nd worse. I'd get weinbrenners again as well, those got used the hardest.

Right now I alternate between the Patagonia rock grips with bars.and the danner felt soles depending on where/how I'm fishing.

Any experience or comments with the simms freestones or simms vapor treads?

Kind of opposite ends of the spectrum as the freestones look like tanks and the vapors more like a 3/4 hiking shoe but i am trying to weigh all my options

Had them both.

The Vapors are like a Ferrari - look good, comfortable but I wore them out quickly. If you don't kill yourself wading like I do, I would get them in a heartbeat.

The Freestones are tanks, that is why I went back to them. You lose the lightness of the Vapors but they last forever boot wise. The bottoms will wear down long before the boot does.

Always have that extra pair of laces too fellas!

Redington Skagits, anyone ever have a pair of these? They are highly rated and well reviewed at 120 bucks

Moon1284, as to your Rock Grip boots, could you provide some detail as to where they are blowing out? I may try some preventive maintenance depending on the flaw. Thanks.

Back