I need some help with midge fishing.

R

ralphs007

Long story short,I just got back into fly fishing last year,after being away for over 30 years.
Today I was fishing a dry fly with a size 22 Black Beauty midge as the dropper.I missed close to ten fish today when they hit the midge.When I saw my dry fly go under,I tightened my line,but the fish would either be hooked for a split second or I'd just miss it. I'd see them flash,when I tightened my line,but then they were gone.
Am I setting the hook too soon,or should I wait a little longer to set the hook? I don't really set the hook,I just put tension on the line,should I set the hook a little harder?
I took the size 22 off and put an 18 on,thinking that I'd have a better chance to hook up,but they didn't want the 18. I put the 22 back,and I was back to missing them again.
My fly rod has a very soft action ,and I was thinking maybe it doesn't have enough back bone to set the hook?
Thanks in advance.
Ralph
P.S
I do set the hook by moving my fly rod down stream of the fish.

ralphs007 wrote:
Long story short,I just got back into fly fishing last year,after being away for over 30 years.
Today I was fishing a dry fly with a size 22 Black Beauty midge as the dropper.I missed close to ten fish today when they hit the midge.When I saw my dry fly go under,I tightened my line,but the fish would either be hooked for a split second or I'd just miss it. I'd see them flash,when I tightened my line,but then they were gone.
Am I setting the hook too soon,or should I wait a little longer to set the hook? I don't really set the hook,I just put tension on the line,should I set the hook a little harder?
I took the size 22 off and put an 18 on,thinking that I'd have a better chance to hook up,but they didn't want the 18. I put the 22 back,and I was back to missing them again.
My fly rod has a very soft action ,and I was thinking maybe it doesn't have enough back bone to set the hook?
Thanks in advance.
Ralph
P.S
I do set the hook by moving my fly rod down stream of the fish.

I know some guys on here will scream like a yeti, but I too have experienced poor hooksets with "soft" action rods, especially fiberglass rods.

Attachments

• yeti.jpg
    yeti.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 5
afishinado wrote:
I know some guys on here will scream like a yeti, but I too have experienced poor hooksets with "soft" action rods, especially fiberglass rods.

It may be a function of what you're used to. I find I'm more likely to get poor hook sets with a faster rod. I've never had a problem with glass.

I have had this problem before as well. What ended up working for me was adjusting how I was setting the hook. I went from more of a downstream set to just raising the rod tip straight up. That seemed to work for me!

Thanks,I'll give it a shot.

Back