I need some help identifying these reels.

groove790

groove790

So I was at Wal-Mart this week in Ohio and I found some gear for a really cheap price. I found these reels for $7 a piece. I know they are not expensive reels to begin with but they are still higher quality than what I have now. The problem I'm having is I have no idea what weight they are. There are no markings on the reels or the packaging. Do any of you know what the specs on these reels are? I tried to contact Cortland directly and they have not responded. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 100_11792.jpg
    100_11792.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 100_11802.jpg
    100_11802.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 19
Hey Groove,

I found this on the Cortland site. This looks like your reel.

http://www.cortlandline.com/products/default.asp?id=570

I would guess your reel is the 7/8 size model since the photo shows the number 200 on the reel.

Good luck with it.

Attachments

• 2587_4c0c58ee8bfad.jpg
    2587_4c0c58ee8bfad.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 5
  • CDM_side.JPG
    CDM_side.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 5
afish...where do you see the 200 on the reel. The other reel says st200 which I was able to find as part of a 6wt combo. (bottom of page)

http://www.nswfca.com.au/vrods.html

tomgamber wrote:
But that's not the reel you linked to...

The markings are on the other side.

From the link:

Model Size Weight Dia.
599673 #1 (5/6) 6.1 oz. 3 1/8”
599925 #2 (7/8) 6.4 oz. 3 1/2”

Often manufacturers relabel reels and sell them to the large retail stores (like WallyWorld) at a cheaper price. If the spool is 3 1/2" in diameter, likely it would be the Size 2 = 7/8wt.

ok, but where are you getting your info from? Who said it was 3 1/2 inches. You are posting specs from the second reel but using the model number from the first reel to determine the size. Sorry, I;m just not understanding your reasoning here.

there are two reels of which, both we can see both sides....only one has any markings.

tomgamber wrote:
ok, but where are you getting your info from? Who said it was 3 1/2 inches. You are posting specs from the second reel but using the model number from the first reel to determine the size. Sorry, I;m just not understanding your reasoning here.

there are two reels of which, both we can see both sides....only one has any markings.

If Groove has a tape measure..........mystery solved ;-)

the first reel has markings..based on the link I provided it is matched with a 6wt rod...

SAF Rod & Reel Combo's
HCTF96B Trophy Fly 9' 0" 2pc 6/7 weight Rod with ST200 Reel, WF6 Flyline & 25lb backing

the second reel has NO markings...I can see both sides. I believe you have correctly identified the model but I do not see in the picture of the second reel anything that shows its size. You could be correct...there are only two options if that's the reel. But what makes you think its the 7/8 and no the 5/6?

Attachments

• st200.jpg
    st200.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 6
  • no markings.jpg
    no markings.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 4
I was hoping one of them would be a 4wt. I already have a cheap 5/6. Now it seems that I have 2 of them and a 7/8. That is my best guess as to what they are. The one with the markings has a small arbor and the one with the cortland label has a medium arbor. I'll measure them when I get home tonight.

Put the reel on a 4wt rod. If it balances or feels comfortable, you have a 4wt reel.

You know that 7/8 will only get any work this year if you get divorced..... :)

Buy some backing and 4wt line and put it on. Like Jay said, it may just balance right. I showed you the other day how a reel should balance the rod.

FYI... the Brandts fishing outing is on JUNE 19th (the day I was thinking of going to the ANF) Plans are now changed... tie up some streamers!!!

Thanks for the help. The larger one is definitely the Cortland CDM 7/8. The small on isn't even a cortland reel. It is an SAF Shina reel. Never heard of them but it is a 6/7 weight which is what I thought it was. I'm still going to put the 4 weight line on it and use it as a 4. Now I just need to get some line on them and put them to use.

Back