I got the blues

D

dubthethorax

busted this articulated guy out tonight after work. Thoughts?

0be5d75e560811e2984822000a1f9707_7.jpg

That's one big blue mama jama. Nice looking tie, man is it blue. Bet it'll move some water. Salt or fresh? Looks like when wet it'll be a tear drop kinda shape. Cool looking fly, with those eyes almost looks like a baby something.

Two thumbs up! That fly, depending on size....will catch anything.

Personally, I don't use a lot of blue flies but it seems to me that there was some scientific research not too many years ago suggesting that blue was the color that most attracted rainbow trout, esp under lower light conditions. A blue egg fly will slay the stockies and I'm told is pretty good for steelhead too. Might as well try it in streamers.

I used* to have a bucktail which was that same electric blue. If it means anything, my one and only (dink) striper this year took a jiggy in that color.

*my dog got into the tying stash one day last summer...the next few walks were interesting to say the least.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try it for everything, starting with swinging for steelhead on the switch rod later this month. I'm sure it will work for warmwater bass, and maybe even stripers. It's about 4-5 inches long and I'm gonna fish it with a sink tip and short leader.

did you base it on any pattern or just work with the materials....

Looks, ELECTRIC!

Nice fly

Haha sorry dub...I forgot to after my rambling above, but i meant to say it looks great as well. It'll catch something for sure.

Marge Simpson. Should catch plenty of Homers.

It's ugly, but it will catch smallies.

I like the marge simpson, looks good

I hope it warms up for you later this month. I'm sure you know its tough to get steelhead to feed in the winter, especially a fly on the swing. Not trying to discourage you, I hope to see a picture of a steelhead with this in its mouth soon!

nice tie!

i use blue and white flatwings, eels, deceivers and clousers all the time for stripers - but only on sunny days.

i read a few years back that the fish see it as a green in their spectrum on bright days.

since then - chartreuse for dull days, blue for sunny days and root beer or olive for the flats.

i remember one guy looking me a little funny down in Chatham on the Cape, til i asked him what colour are snapper blues....lol

that fly would work well for a baby squid around the docks when they're in.

your main problem will be getting it down - did you wrap lead on the shank ?

if not fish it on a fast sinking line over weed beds and strip and pause - it'll fall on the strip and rise on the pause. which in my experience is absolutely irresistable to bass and stripers.

Back