I finally, FINALLY caught some brookies

Six-Gun

Six-Gun

I've caught Bonneville cutthroats in a tiny mountain stream...

...but I never caught a brook trout.

I've caught brown trout in a strong riffle on the Colorado River...

I've caught 20+ rainbow trout in secluded, Rocky Mountain stillwater...

I have accomplished a few notable things in the year since I started fly fishing, but until yesterday, I had never caught and landed a brookie. I added that little caveat about landing one because I'm pretty certain that the first fish I ever actually hooked on a fly was a brookie on the Arkansas River, but I never saw enough of him before he got off the hook to tell for sure. I tried to get one in the summer in PA, but I failed miserably in finding good water.

It took calling a fly shop in Utah regarding a stream 5 hours from my house for a tip on where to go, but at the end of roughly a 1-hour jaunt up Carcass Creek in southern Utah, I had finally hooked and landed 6 or so brookies. Here are couple of them:

CarcassCreekUTbrooktrout-7Apr2014_zpscdba8cc5.jpg

CarcassCreekUTbrooktrout2-7Apr2014_zps646df8fc.jpg

I also took a little divert after catching the brookies. As is usually the case, the gentleman who ran the fly shop also guides locally in and around this creek that he recommended to me. I made it a point to only stay for a limited amount of time at this creek to check out the Fremont River, which was within 40 minutes of Carcass Creek. However, once again, I knew nothing of the place other than the name and that it was supposedly fishing well for browns and rainbows lately. So, I called the guide up to see if he could point me in the right direction and he actually did me one better...he asked is he could join me. I'm no Einstein, but when a guide offers to come fishing with you to a place he knows well and you don't at no charge, I think you'd be a fool to turn him down.

Sure enough, he had me on some browns immediately:

FreemontRiverUTbrowntrout-7Apr2014_zpsf4d38d2f.jpg

He employed a technique with a wooly bugger that I've never seen before (and that may merit discussing in a separate thread), but it was extremely effective in getting strikes. We had a great time fishing together and I told him that I'll give him a shout next time I'm out his way.

On that note, if you ever need a guide in southern Utah for the Freemont River or the waters near it, check with Mike at Quiet Fly Fisher in Loa, UT. He knows his stuff.

Six, that is very cool. He sounds like a real stand up guy, someone who the next time you're there with some time you hire him for some time on stream.congratulations on getting some brookie to hand sounds like a great day to me.

Thanks, lv2nymph -

It was an incredible day on the water with a ton of game sightings in addition to some really good fishing. There had to at least 400-500 mule deer on the foothills during the drive home. Passing one of the other rivers I usualy fish around that area, I also sighted 9 elk by one of the pulloffs. Spring is an excellent time to watch the critters moving about out west.

Congrats Six-Gun.

That's great six-gun. Enjoyed the story and pics thanks 4 ssharing

The brookies look skinny. They are also often like that here in the east in the early season, after a long cold winter. A couple of months from now, after they've had more bugs to eat, they often put on a lot more weight. If you get a chance, try the same stretch of stream then and see if there's a difference.

Thanks, guys. It was a lot of fun. I actually just got off the phone with my retired game warden buddy and discussed plans to get back up there when I return from next week's trip to Pennsylvania.

troutbert -

That's interest to note. I have never seen the season fattening up you're talking about for obvious reason, but hopefully, I can see this starting to happen when I return in a month when I go back up there for sure. I always love watching changes in nature like that.

Nice job SG.
We've got a bunch of 'em waiting for yuh here in PA. :)

Fishidiot wrote:
Nice job SG.
We've got a bunch of 'em waiting for yuh here in PA. :)

That's the killer part! Last time to PA, those little fish couldn't find me to save my life (or vice versa). I couldn't catch one to save my life, but this was mid-summer and the streams were extremely low. The new goal is to get back to Clinton Co. and make it happen when the season it right. They really are beautiful fish.

Back