I broke a fly rod tip today

scs_browntrout

scs_browntrout

So this has happened to my twice now in 15 years, I picked up the rod this year and used it about 25 times I went to straighten the flyline at the tip and it snapped 3 inches from the top I was really getting into this rod a Orvis Clearwater rod.

So when it happened I jumped out of the creek steaming pissed the feeling was losing a best friend a friendly fisherman just got onto the stream when I walked by him and showed him the tip he said take it up the street I was in Mount Holly.

I stopped in to Precision fly shop and the guys there right away were giving me great advise he said not to glue it just send it back I was still frustrated from the occurance the owner Justin I believe was really nice and professional he went back and got me a box to ship the fly rod back, he even offered to lend a fishing rod to go back out I told him I had afternoon plans and could do it but he offered a couple of times. So of you swing by Mount Holly Springs sometime stop in and say hello, they have a really nice store.

So when I got home I did an online submission to Orvis it will cost me $66 for the repair and will take 3-6 weeks to get it back, hoping everything turns out good, there was a button online if the rod means anything special or they might change over to a new rod who knows will see.

Anybody have related issues or Orvis rod repairs?

scs

I have had 2 rod sections replaced by Orvis, and both times they wanted to repair the impossible. Both times it was my fault.

Orvis honored their 25 year warranty both times.

Good story and great fly shop service.

For what's worth....If you buy an Echo fly rod in the future and break the top section, you can just buy a new top section. I did this recently and it only cost 20-30 bucks and I had it in less than a week.

The only rods I've ever had repaired by Orvis are vintage bamboo.

Other the the wait time which is LONG, the service is amazing and the cost is reasonable beyond belief.

I have a pair of older Far and Fines and between them, they have been back to Manchester 5 or maybe 6 times as well as a 7 ft. Small Stream Special that has been back twice. All these trips entailed new tip sections. I'm kinda tough on equipment.. I think over the years, that I've actually paid for one or maybe two of all the repairs, despite the older of the Far & Fines preceding the 25 year guarantee by several years and the guarantee having expired on the rest of the rods.

I can't say enough good about Orvis rod repair...

Bamboozle wrote:
The only rods I've ever had repaired by Orvis are vintage bamboo.

Other the the wait time which is LONG, the service is amazing and the cost is reasonable beyond belief.

Agreed. I have been astonished at the low cost and incredible work. Customer for life.
Mike B

I do not own an Orvis rod however, when I started making bamboo rods for myself I called Orvis and talked to Ron White “Whitey” and it was a pleasure and talked to him several other times before he retired. So it my book their customer service is #1. Joe E

Kudos to Precision Fly Fishing. They're a good crew (both in Mt Holly and Lancaster).

Back