Hyner Run/ West Branch Susquehanna River

odtfish

odtfish

My Brother and I make a week long trip to the northcentral region every fall. We do it for two reasons, great fishing and great scenery. Part of the experience is being in the middle of all the colors of folliage and fish. We camp at Hyner Run State Park because of the solitude at that time of the year. Fishing has been good some years and not so good some years, but that's just part of the game, that's nature. Last year most of the streams we fished really well. The one that didn't was Hyner Run. On our second or third day there, we had a chance to talk to the park ranger and she asked if we saw the oil rig on the top of the mountian. I looked at my brother and said that explains alot. In Hyner there was a lack of insects in and out of the water. Now I know that it isn't the most fertile stream in the area, but you can always see some nymphs under the rocks. Well mabey it was just an off year for insects as well. The link below saddened me to read it.
What was the montra in the last election "DRILL BABY DRILL".

http://www.northcentralpa.com/article/hyner-view-state-park-view-peril-gas-trucks

what a shame if that goes through. I love that area and camp at hyner run myself. been a couple years since I fished it.
the entire drilling thing saddens me. just have a bad feeling history is repeating itself(strip mines). what will be left after the gas is gone and the gas companies have taken our resources ,and left us with a huge mess to clean up.
I hope I'm wrong.

I've camped at Hyner Run in past years and had some excellent fishing to wild brooks/browns with dry flys. It's been awhile but I hope, as the previous poster said, it was just an off year for things. I spend alot of time in God's Country and the surrounding areas every year and am also truly saddened by the threat of gas drilling on all the beautiful wild places, peace and quiet etc. of the area. I rode up through Waterville on Pine Creek, and up upper pine bottom, to the top of the mountain over Young Womans vista in mid February. What would normally have been a peaceful, stress-reducing drive through pristine mountains, with likely no other vehicles even seen, was basically a white-knuckle drive with a tanker truck infront of me going 5 mph and a tractor-trailer behind me ---riding up my you know what. I truly hope that sportsmens clubs and others who feel like I do continue to stand up for protecting our public, wild resources and win some of these battles like protecting Hyner View. We should all make our voices heard on the issues. Hats off to the group opposing this.

Where was this drill rig? In relation to the state park or Hyner Run or specific forest roads, or Hyner View or other landmarks.

I believe there is a well right near the Black Forest Inn, not far from the Young Womans vista, since that's where the rigs that had me boxed in finally turned off, but am not sure of any closer to Hyner Park. A gentleman I spoke with over a beer at the Inn said he was standing in front of the Slate Run tackle shop waiting to meet some friends to hike with and counted about 20 water tank trucks go by in a half hours time.

That just freakin sucks, that is where my good friend learned to trout fish. About 60 years ago

these jerks are so devious I would not trust them with anything

hell they violated highway restriction law by 24 tons, that was brazenly in the open, what will they do deep in the woods, behind our back

talking about the gas/shale dopes

Troutbert,

When you leave the park and go up Hyner Mt. Rd. you turn left on Pats Ridge Rd I believe. There is a State Game Lands close by.

Rt 44 is just north if you stay on Hyner Mountain Rd.

BTW- the trout in my avatar came from Hyner Run (caught by Odtfish). We have been staying at Hyner Run St. PK. every fall for the last 23 years, so it hits hard.

fishpaint wrote:
Troutbert,

When you leave the park and go up Hyner Mt. Rd. you turn left on Pats Ridge Rd I believe. There is a State Game Lands close by.

Rt 44 is just north if you stay on Hyner Mountain Rd.

BTW- the trout in my avatar came from Hyner Run (caught by Odtfish). We have been staying at Hyner Run St. PK. every fall for the last 23 years, so it hits hard.

Thanks. Did the State Park employee think the stream was impacted? And did he or anyone else report this to DEP or PFBC?

This kind of news really sucks. This is just one of many awesome wild streams in that region. This gas drilling crap is almost like a bad dream! I never thought I'd have to worry about something like this. Here, I thought the bulk of the damage (AMD) had BEEN done to our streams and we were dealing with it. Now this is going to be a new monster to clean up after. That's if there's something left to clean up! This entire shale thing has me quite worried. :cry:

If you read the article you will notice that the people involved in the accident were from Oklahoma and Louisana. So this is supposed to bring jobs to Pennsylvanians. I spoke to the park gaurd up there last year and she said that they didn't hire anyone local, except 1 person to haul some bushes and wood away. But other than that, forget it. I know they have some swampland in Florida I am just dying to get my hands on!

http://www.lockhaven.com/page/content.detail/id/519680.html?nav=5009

Was Hyner Run polluted?

Does anyone know? If it was polluted, does anyone have details, links to information, etc.?

article says they don't think anything from the accident entered the stream. lets hope they are right, it's a great little stream

The variance was turned down by the Chapman Zoning Board. I wrote a letter to the Board applauding their action and they sent me a thank you for support, but, Anadarko, being a good neighbor, has filed an appeal to be heard at a later date. They wanted to withdraw 750,000 gallons a day from the site. Just an aside, the Clinton County Country Club has entered into an agreement to allow water to be withdrawn from Big Fishing Creek. Originally, the gas companies were asking for 5 million gallons a day but the SRBC only allowed 100, 000 a day, pending appeal however.

Jim Kearney

Back