Hydros flex

A

anthonyminski

I'm picking up an Orvis Hyros 8'6" 5 wt. I can't decided on the flex index. I thought I wanted the mid flex for it's versatility. Then I cast the tip flex and loved it. Am I giving anything up if I choose the tip flex? I generally don't fish "big" water, which is why I was originally set on the mid flex. Any input is appreciated.

Fast action rods are better for small water, IMO. The tip flex will allow you to throw tight loops into tight spaces, and will also allow you to throw long casts on bigger waters. I'd overline it for the real small stuff.

If I were dropping that kind of coin on a rod, I would demand the highest possible level of performance. As far as raw casting performance goes, you've gotta go with a fast action rod.

Mid flex and slower rods allow for a more delicate and accurate presentation if you're a good caster. They are also more forgiving. They're more fun to cast, IMO. The catch is that you can get all of those qualities for a ton less money.

For the cost of a high end piece of equipment, I feel like it's silly to go with anything but a sports car. I am sure some luxury car people will disagree. :lol:

I agree with Jay. If the faster tip casts better for you, go for it. .

To debunk some commonly held myths (IMO) as far as accuracy and delicacy, a faster rod is very accurate given the tighter loop it casts. What would make a larger loop more accurate? And, add in some wind, and a tighter loop from a fast action rod will win for accuracy every time (IMO).

And as far as delicacy, the speed of the line and the size of the loop matters only during the cast. All the energy dissipates when you finish your cast, and the fly line falls to the surface, why would a fast action rod present a fly less delicately?

Anthony, don't let what read steer you away from a rod that feels right to you. When you find a rod that feels right (and you can afford it).........buy it! Good luck with your new rod.

I usually prefer mid flex rods; however, I cast a few tip flex Hydros rods a few weeks ago and was very impressed at how easily I could lay out line. If I had the money to buy one, I would buy a tip flex.

I just bought a hydros 4 wt midflex last week because they do not offer the 8.5 ft in a tip flex. My friend has a T3 midflex and it is a noodle. The hydros midflex has some backbone. It is one of the smoothest casting rods I ever casted. I am very pleased with this rod for the money.

I have a few Orvis rods and for small streams you cant beat the mid flex imo.....The 9' 5wt that I has is a tip flex and for big waters you cant beat it.

I'm for the tip flex all the way.. People complain that they as accurate and only suited for big waters.. I've used tip flex rods on smaller waters and casted with perfect accuracy and delicacy. If you're going to drop upwards of 400 on a rod.. You might as well go tip flex

Thank you for the input. Here's my plan. I'm going to the fly shop and cast both rods one last time side by side. I will cast both without knowing which one is which and buy my favorite one. I have a friend that I used to play a lot of pool with. Well, maybe we just drank a lot of beer next to a pool table but regardless we got pretty good at the game. Often at a bar the supplied cues were less than desirable. He would always say, "Doesn't matter I could beat you with a broomstick!" I think this attitude is helping me with my decision. I'll buy what feels best and cast long, delicate, short and accurate through practice and experience with that particular rod.

Back