Hunting while fishing?

larkmark

larkmark

Carrying this over from another thread on firearms. I was just wondering if anyone here has done any hunting while they were on the water fishing? I often see deer and other game animals along the water when I am out fishing, especially when floating the bigger rivers.

While I haven't done this is years, back when there was a huntable population of grouse in SCPA I'd sometimes pack my brookie gear in a backpack and carry my shotgun while hiking down brushy hillsides to get to remote stream sections. When I reached the stream, I'd stash the shotgun, break out the FF gear and fish up and back. Then I'd hunt back up to the car.
I can't remember if I had any luck, or even if I got a shot on any of these trips, but I do remember it as a fun late October cast and blast afternoon.

I don't hunt waterfowl but I've often flushed ducks while drifting the Juniata and Susky (flushed a grouse out of an island on the J many moons ago).
I have a good buddy who hunts ducks and it's been tempting to do a float trip in our yaks with him in the lead with a shotgun and I'd follow up with fishing gear - would have to check the hunting regs to see if this is permissible.

Shot a story back in the early 90s while still in Idaho about a guide who did floats on the Snake between ID and OR. The would fish and float. Then get out and do some bird hunting. Chukars I think they called them, and sage hens/grouse. Looked like Partridge. Never hunted back then so I t was just a really great assignment for me. I have seen a lot of Turkey while fishing over the years but without a group as we had on these floats, I would imagine anything bigger like deer or elk might be a challenge. Of course with the right boat, floating a deer out might be preferable to dragging it now that I think about it.

Two guys used to sit on their ice fishing buckets at Lake Ontelaunee, but they would take a break from jigging when geese flew over around dawn and dusk to pull up the shot guns for a few cuts at the geese...while still seated on their 5 gal pails.

Not at the same time.

However, I used to hunt grouse in the morning.
Then put the hunting gear away, and fish the rest of the day.
Which worked out pretty well, as the fish really didn't start to rise until afternoon during cool October weather

I would not recommend fishing on public land during deer rifle season even if you were also hunting. I can't imagine it being a peaceful experience for either sport.

I have spring turkey hunted and brookie fished at the same time on public land. Very enjoyable and I would recommend as shotguns are less lethal at farther distances and there are less hunters in the field. Although I am sure there are idiots out there that shoot their shotgun at any movement they see while turkey hunting.

That sounds too much like multi-tasking.

dryflyguy wrote:
Not at the same time.

However, I used to hunt grouse in the morning.
Then put the hunting gear away, and fish the rest of the day.
Which worked out pretty well, as the fish really didn't start to rise until afternoon during cool October weather

Exactly how far backward does one travel on a bucket while discharging a shotgun on ice? :lol:

Depends on the drag on the fishing reel I believe.

Millsertime wrote:
I would not recommend fishing on public land during deer rifle season even if you were also hunting. I can't imagine it being a peaceful experience for either sport.

I have spring turkey hunted and brookie fished at the same time on public land. Very enjoyable and I would recommend as shotguns are less lethal at farther distances and there are less hunters in the field. Although I am sure there are idiots out there that shoot their shotgun at any movement they see while turkey hunting.

I think that you would have a different opinion on public land hunting if you spent some time in the north central part of the state. I did hunt private on Saturday to follow family tradition and sit with my wife, however I spent Sunday, Monday and Tuesday on a SGL that many would consider high pressure and did not see another hunter. I was also along a wilderness trout stream or at least on the mountain side right above it the whole time. My brother and I are actually planning a camping trip to brookie fish and turkey hunt next spring.

Contrary to popular belief there are not Elmer Fudds behind every tree waiting to shoot at anything that moves in much of the state. In all honesty I have more trouble being crowded by other deer hunters on private ground than I do on public.

lycoflyfisher wrote:

I think that you would have a different opinion on public land hunting if you spent some time in the north central part of the state.

I agree with you regarding NCPA. On the east side, there are a large amount of yellow front platers that hunt here. Common sense isn't strong with majority of them in my experiences.

Never hunted while fishing but have fished while hunting. I have a telescoping rod shot and nymphs for this.

I'm am avid waterfowler but I have never hunted while fishing or vice versa..In my opinion, each pursuit takes so much focus and energy that if I tried t do both all that would end up happening is that I wouldn't do either one well. YMMV.

Given how involved duck hunting is and how fast paced it is, there is no way I could hunt ducks effectively while fishing.

Back