How would you fish this hatch?

docsab

docsab

Had to drive my daughter to Lancaster yesterday for a convention, and used the GPS Fishing Guide to find a local stream to fish until she was done(I think its a great app).

About 5:30PM there was a hatch of light tan bugs about size 20(BWO?) and the trout were rising all around me. I didn't have any dries that small, only a griffiths gnat which was the wrong color and #18. I had some emergers and decided to try one but wasn't sure of the best way to get it in the film- it seemed to float too high. Would it be better to drop it off a larger dry with a tiny split shot or fish alone with/without an indy? Winds were whipping up a bit, and the glare made it hard to get/spot a good drift. Any suggestions for other techniques/ setups in this situation?

On the bright side, I did catch a nice rainbow on a fly I tied myself for the first time- a mercury midge. One of those FF milestones you always remember :-D

One option that works really well is to "grease" up an unweighted nymph and fish it in the film. This works well either by itself or as a dropper off a larger dry.

docsab wrote:

On the bright side, I did catch a nice rainbow on a fly I tied myself for the first time- a mercury midge. One of those FF milestones you always remember :-D

Nice! Congrats!

another option if you're fishing unknown waters is to use an attractor fly like a Stimulator, Humpy or Royal Wulff. May not match any hatch but would probably catch fish.

Congratulations , a MILESTONE it is!!!!!!!!

Well, you lacked dries/duns in that size, but had an emerger. Then it floated "too high"? Sounds to me like it'd be just fine as a dun imitation?

Of course, if they were taking emergers instead of dries, well, then you want it lower in the film.

In order of importance:

1. Presentation/drag

2. how high it floats - match what they're taking. If duns, you want it on top. If emergers, you want it in the film. etc.

3. Size

these three are VERY important. Get em right, and you can do very well without having an "exact" imitation.

4. Shape
5. Color (and even then, light or dark is usually sufficient rather than having to get the exact right shade).

Congrats on the milestone.

Could have been crane flies, they ought to be around any time now. Were there splashy rises?

Definitely some splashy rises. Crane flies look like big mosquitoes right? These bugs had smaller legs with a light tan color to the body.

Good point Pat, regarding fishing the emerger as a dun- just didn't look too appealing floating on its side so I didn't try it for very long. All the drys I had seemed way too big and I know size is important(so she says..)

Some good ideas DD, JT- I have to concentrate less on having the "perfect" match.

The flies hatching i would have to guess stoneflies and like Pkray said they are actually laying eggs , your mention of the wind makes me guess that. Seems they concentrate on the gusty windy days and they go for the calm between the gusts to do their thing.

docsab wrote:
Definitely some splashy rises. Crane flies look like big mosquitoes right? These bugs had smaller legs with a light tan color to the body.

Correct crane flies look like big *** mosquitoes

docsab wrote:
No they are small this time of the year. about an 18 or 20. When they come back to the water they fly low laying eggs and that seems to be when trout take them. I've never fished large crane flies even when I've seen them.

Back