How would you build a steelhead euro leader for a FAST action 9ft 6wt?

W

Worth723

Hey all, I’m in a pinch and need some advice.

I’ll be targeting steelhead for the first time in an Erie trib (Chautauqua Creek) over the holidays and I’ll be wielding a 9ft 6wt fast action streamer rod.

Im going to attempt to tight line euro nymph with this stick. If you didn’t have a dedicated euro rod that could handle steelhead, how would you build out a simple leader for tightlining a double nymph rig on a streamer rod?

This isn’t ideal, but I’m curious to hear your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Tackle Restrictions:​

Fly Lines

• Use of less than 20 feet of a floating, sinking, or combination floating/ sinking fly line or shooting head immediately behind the leader and in front of any running line or other backing is prohibited.
  • From May 1 - August 31: Floating fly lines only.
  • From September 1 - April 30: Floating, sinking, and sink tip fly lines are permitted. Flies
  • From May 1 - August 31: a single unweighted artificial fly having one hook point with a 1/2 inch maximum gap only is permitted.
  • From September 1 - April 30: a single unweighted or weighted artificial fly with no more than 1/8 oz. added weight, having one hook point with a 1/2 inch maximum gap only, is permitted.

I tried to keep it simple this year and it worked. 5' of 6 lbs fluoro tippet, swivel, 12" 20 lbs sighter material; length of 15 lbs Maxima Chameleon to make it legal. Good fluoro materials are Sunline FC Super Sniper and Seaguar Invizx. Both are meant for spinning and come in 200 yd spools that cost a touch more than a fly tippet spool. BTW, my main tippet for trout leaders is 4 lbs fluoro of these brands.

Tackle Restrictions:​

Fly Lines

• Use of less than 20 feet of a floating, sinking, or combination floating/ sinking fly line or shooting head immediately behind the leader and in front of any running line or other backing is prohibited.
  • From May 1 - August 31: Floating fly lines only.
  • From September 1 - April 30: Floating, sinking, and sink tip fly lines are permitted. Flies
  • From May 1 - August 31: a single unweighted artificial fly having one hook point with a 1/2 inch maximum gap only is permitted.
  • From September 1 - April 30: a single unweighted or weighted artificial fly with no more than 1/8 oz. added weight, having one hook point with a 1/2 inch maximum gap only, is permitted.
Chris, Those are the regulations for the Salmon River Fly sections.

Hey all, I’m in a pinch and need some advice.

I’ll be targeting steelhead for the first time in an Erie trib (Chautauqua Creek) over the holidays and I’ll be wielding a 9ft 6wt fast action streamer rod.

Im going to attempt to tight line euro nymph with this stick. If you didn’t have a dedicated euro rod that could handle steelhead, how would you build out a simple leader for tightlining a double nymph rig on a streamer rod?

This isn’t ideal, but I’m curious to hear your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks in advance!
how did you end up doing i went up 11/24 and had a rough day there only a few fish landed

I fish Erie al the time and the last few years have been Euro Nymph fishing for them. I keep it pretty simple 10’ of Suffix Promix to a micro swivel. Then depending on flows and color of the water tie on 8 or 6# floro of your choice. Since the key to successful steelhead fishing is keeping the presentation on the bottom I keep both my fly of choice within 18” of each other.

Back