How Trout See

I’d argue movement, or lack thereof depending, should be higher on that list. But good stuff nonetheless.

I found it interesting his statement that when you get a refusal after a trout follows and gets close to your fly that it is color that turned the trout off.

He said for the trout to inspect your fly in the first place showed that it though it was food, and that it wouldn't have gotten close to it if it was dragging.

I found it interesting his statement that when you get a refusal after a trout follows and gets close to your fly that it is color that turned the trout off.

He said for the trout to inspect your fly in the first place showed that it though it was food, and that it wouldn't have gotten close to it if it was dragging.
Agreed. I think we put emphasis on the drift and making sure we get it deep enough or as drag free as possible, I always assumed the refusal was due to drag or something else I couldn’t see.

Last edited:
I listened to the podcast a while ago.

His conclusion that color is the reason for a refusal, at least at short distances where they can see color well, may be true at times, but in my experience this is a rare occurrence. Drag is much more likely to be the reason for the refusal in most cases.

Most of us, myself included, overestimate the distance a fly can drift drag-free and the fly begins to drag a small amount without us being able to see it at 20 or 30 or 40 feet away. But the trout can see it, and the fish rejects our fly and turns down to heads back to its feeding station.

After this happens, many many times, I've used the same fly (in the same color of course) just after a clear rejection from a trout and caught many fish afterward when I was better able to get a good drag-free drift over other risers.

So I would automatically assume, when you see a closeup rejection from a riser, it's because your fly is the wrong color, and a simple color change is the key to vacuuming up a stream of rising trout. That is seldom the case, at least in my experience.

In order of importance for success:

1. Presentation (the perfect fly with poor presentation will likely not work at all)
2. Size
3. Shape
4. Movement (soft buggy materials)
5. Color (matching the exact color of flies seldom as much as the above things)

Back