how to use two fly

B

beaverbill

how do you tie the second fly on the leader and how far up

Need more information... Two dries? Two wets? Two nymphs? Any combination of the two?

If I'm lazy, I use a surgeon's loop to just connect it, however, I've found much better results with tying onto the bend of each fly up with a cinch knot. I'm pretty sure the surgeon's loop adds some pretty wicked spin into it, but when I'm using a dry as an indicator, I'm not so inclined to care.

As to how far, it depends on what I'm doing. I most commonly use a big bushy dry as an indicator, and then hang a nymph or a wet and a nymph under it. The wet is usually 12" or so back, and the nymph goes down to as far as I think it needs to.

If I'm using a second dry fly, I'll more likely keep it shorter, 12" or so. I want to have an idea where I need to focus to see where the second dry is, although admittedly I haven't tried this method much.

All wets? About 12-18" between each fly on the cast.

I've never done a streamer/wet combo, but I know alot of people do.

Limit your false casting to as little as neccessary, and they say never roll cast (whatever, I still do, but it tends to end poorly after I've done it too much).

Be warned, tangles will become a new level of awful like you've never seen before, I routinely give up and cut the whole mess off. I also develop a bird's nest if I ever have the misfortune to tap my rod on the cast with one of the flies.

And losing 3 at a shot stings. :)

Here are a couple of different multi-fly rigs:

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/nymph.htm

HTH.

Back