How to Price Gear?

B

BBush0312

I am helping a friend of a friend. Her husband has been collecting equipment for many years (rods, reels, fly tying, non-fly fishing rods and reels, etc.) but has a serious health issue and is in an assisted living home. He has some premium stuff from Orvis and other top brands. I will likely buy some of it and want to give them a fair deal. Most of it will be probably sold on Ebay.

I appreciate any suggestions or help on trying to price out the equipment.

On a related note, he has a very large wood shop with premium tools. If you know where I can get started on pricing out these items I would also appreciate it.

I'd try to sell it here first. More folks who appreciate good fly fishing gear. GG

I would start by making an inventory of the items and creating accurate descriptions. Example : Each rod has should have a length, line weight and model on the butt section. Reels will have a model number or line weight on them. The more info you provide the better for both seller and buyer.

You could try doing a search on ebay for the items you have to sell and see how much it is selling for on ebay.

You may want to give Bob Selb a call for the fly fishing items. He's honest, more than fair and takes consignments if desired.

http://www.classicflyfisherman.com/

Good Luck...................

When you do a regular search on Ebay, it will bring up items currently for sale.

But, in the left column, if you scroll down, you will see a place to check the box for Sold items.

This search will bring up only Sold items, and you can see the price they sold for.

That is probably the best way to get an idea of the value for a particular item.

But keep in mind that prices for the same item can vary a great deal depending on condition.

troutbert wrote:
When you do a regular search on Ebay, it will bring up items currently for sale.

But, in the left column, if you scroll down, you will see a place to check the box for Sold items.

This search will bring up only Sold items, and you can see the price they sold for.

That is probably the best way to get an idea of the value for a particular item.

But keep in mind that prices for the same item can vary a great deal depending on condition.

This is a great tip. Try to sell stuff for what people will actually pay for it, ignore the auctions that aren't selling.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will look into the Ebay sold items and the Classic Fly Fisherman potentially.

PM sent regarding the wood working items.

Back