How to join a Fly Swap AKA Fly Swaps 101

WWKimba

WWKimba

First, most fly swaps are open to all level and experience tyers. Do NOT feel that you have to be a professional level tyer! They are a fun way to better and widen you tying ability. You simply tie a fly for each participant, they'll do the same and when the host collects them all they will divide the flies so you get back one fly from each of the other swappers.

What do you need for a swap? Just 5 things! Your fly pattern, a toe tag on each fly, a swap box for the swap (reusable), a SASE, and lastly an envelope to send your flies to the host.

Your Flies - A pattern that meets the swaps rules. If the theme is Streamers, you'd tie a steamer pattern NOT a mayfly pattern. The number you'll tie will depend on the total number of swappers who register (for example if there are 9 swappers registered, you'd tie 9 flies of that same pattern). As a courtesy, all hooks used should be barbless or de-barbed.

Toe Tags - Toe tags identify the fly pattern and your screen name. This way swappers will know the name of your fly and that, in fact, you tied it. Toe tags can be paper strips, card stock, or 2 MM foam. As I mentioned they MUST have your handle and the patterns name BUT you can include other information if you wish - real name, reach info (usually done by professional tyers trying to add to their business), name of the swap, date of the swap, and even the site the swap was offered on. Here's a trick if using paper - leave a blank area at either end of the tag so you can fold it over, now folding the short tag on top pierce the hook point through both thicknesses of the paper, lastly, open the fold to make a hinge. The hinge will lock the hook in place so when the flies travel in the mail the receiver will not get a tag and somewhere else in the swap box a loose fly.

Swap Box - Speaking of swap boxes - they are any plastic or metal box that will protect your flies in the mail. The most common swap box I've seen in my 11+ years swapping are Altoids tins but any container (even round) that is no more than 1 1/2" deep will work. The swap box should AT LEAST have your screen name on it. I have seen boxes (mine, for example) that also include you real world name and mailing address on the box as well

SASE - To get your set of swap flies back to you a self-addressed, stamped envelope needs to be part of you swap packet. Most swappers use a manilla-type envelope (either padded or not - remember the swap box will protect your flies. To figure the proper postage you can take your set of 5 items to the post office without being sealed and have the postal worker figure the amount then purchase the postage for you SASE. Now put all of the above and seal them in your sending envelope. Another way to figure the proper postage is to use this official USPS site - To use, fill in the two ZIP codes and click on the 4th box, now put in the weight (or simply make it 3.6 ounces) and click the second box, now click the 4th box, now go to the bottom of the list and find the First Class rate, this is your postage.

Sending Envelope - Simply another envelope that will hold the swap box that contains your to tagged flies and also you SASE. It will be addressed to the swap host - the swap host will provide their address via PM (in most cases). ANY mailing is STRONGLY advised to be sent via your local post office window so you can get a USPS tracking # to protect you and your efforts. NOTE: The postage will be the same on both the SASE and the sending envelope.

That's it! Swaps are a great way to improve your tying as well as build your collection of fly patterns. Oh, and all the swaps I've ever hosted as well as those I've participated in have one thing in common - THEY ARE FUN!

The current swap offering registration is still open until September 7th and we need at least 2 more people to hit the minimum needed at 6 tyers and most swaps go up to 12 tyers.

That's it! Swaps are a great way to improve your tying as well as build your collection of fly patterns. Oh, and all the swaps I've ever hosted as well as those I've participated in have one thing in common - THEY ARE FUN!
Please explain how a fly swap will improve a tiers skills.

First, they force a tyer to tie the same pattern multiple times. For very experienced tyers the improvement will be minimal, but this is a great practice for newer tyers or those getting back into tying after a long layoff

Second, swappers are exposed to different tying styes, as well as picking up a new trick or two in the flies tied by others.

Third, you are exposed to new patters and have one that you can try on the water to see if it works for you in your area.

Lastly, you get all this and get to have fun as well. And isn't it what this hobby is all about?!

Kim

Sounds like your making it complicated for the people who want to join the swaps. The ones I entered was just make a fly that you want and send it in and get some flies back.

I tend to write like I talk, and I have been accused of having the gift of gab!

One reason tyers don't join swaps because they think that they don't belong or measure up. If you look above, I started out that all a swapper needs is 5 basic things - their flies, toe tags, a swap box, and two envelopes. Those who have swapped before know what these things are but if someone is new to the swap experience, I included the "glossary". I come from a teaching background and got in the habit of not assuming that someone already knows what something is. I figure that if they do already know, no harm (and I've reinforced what they knew!). If they didn't know or were not sure, now they do know.

Kim

First, they force a tyer to tie the same pattern multiple times. For very experienced tyers the improvement will be minimal, but this is a great practice for newer tyers or those getting back into tying after a long layoff

Second, swappers are exposed to different tying styes, as well as picking up a new trick or two in the flies tied by others.

Third, you are exposed to new patters and have one that you can try on the water to see if it works for you in your area.

Lastly, you get all this and get to have fun as well. And isn't it what this hobby is all about?!

Kim
Thanks for you take on fly swaps.

When I first started tying, I commission for tying flies at a local fly shop I tied 200 dozen flies over a year. It improved my tying profoundly. It also payed for a hunting trip to idaho

Back