How to help

B

Boomer

I have often wondered this. I know the standard responses of donate money, don't litter, help stock etc are what most people say but what can someone do to increase the quality and quantity of fish in a stream? I know of a couple streams with native brookies and wild rainbow in them and I would like to help them thrive. what can someone do to take an active role in helping a stream produce fish?

Boomer wrote:
I have often wondered this. I know the standard responses of donate money, don't litter, help stock etc are what most people say but what can someone do to increase the quality and quantity of fish in a stream? I know of a couple streams with native brookies and wild rainbow in them and I would like to help them thrive. what can someone do to take an active role in helping a stream produce fish?

IMHO, the place to start is to contact your local Trout Unlimited Chapter. TU is dedicated to the conservation, preservation and restoration of coldwater streams. They may already have a conservation or restoration program or project targeting the streams you mention. If not, work with them to start a project. Good luck.

afishinado wrote:
IMHO, the place to start is to contact your local Trout Unlimited Chapter. TU is dedicated to the conservation and preservation and restoration of coldwater streams. They may already have a conservation or restoration program or project targeting the streams you mention. If not, work with them to start a project. Good luck.

This is the answer. Generally speaking, making physical changes in a stream requires permits and state oversight and your local TU chapter will be familiar with this.

Other approaches, such as choosing not to fish these streams (or not to fish in the spawning season) as well as landowner issues are much more sensitive angles but MAY be part of the answer depending on the situation and your personal philosophy.

However, the best (and most effective IMO) approach is to join TU and attend meetings when you can. There may also be a local watershed organization as well and these are often excellent groups. They may have less emphasis on trout, but often are well connected to local university science departments and headed by well informed local folks. Look into them as well. Keep in mind that watershed organizations may not have the name of the stream you're interested in, but would still consider protecting it since it is part of the watershed of a larger, downstream area.

A lot of low level work gets done by local TU chapters that never gets much publicity. Some chapter have more projects than others. Drop by a meeting and check them out.

Thanks for the input guys!

Back