How to get your flies out of the trees

Cool! Starts at 1:45

On Friday, I hooked a substantial dead branch out over the middle of the stream. I chucked a log at the branch, hit it dead-on first try, broke it off the tree, and got my flies to release.

It was the most impressive athletic feat of my lifetime; I was completely alone in the woods...

Way cool!
I've climbed trees a fair height to get my flies out. That works too, but it's not as satisfying. And it takes a while.

Great tip. But today I put my fly in a bush on the Breeches. I waded over to retrieve it and picked 5 good looking flies off the bush. Well worth the effort.

On Friday, I hooked a substantial dead branch out over the middle of the stream. I chucked a log at the branch, hit it dead-on first try, broke it off the tree, and got my flies to release.

It was the most impressive athletic feat of my lifetime; I was completely alone in the woods...
But if a log hits a branch and releases flies in the woods, and nobody hears/sees it, did it make a noise/happen???

More often than not, I have good luck getting flies back because I don't get them stuck too high up in trees. I'm usually able to gently pull the fly and branch down low enough for me to grab and release it. I try to find the highest spot for me to stand, usually a rock/boulder, to make this work. Being 6' tall certainly helps.

Sometimes I'll look for a long, stout, stick/branch and use it to press the problem branch down to be able to undo the snag.

What happens to me a lot is the hook pulls out of a fish and flies up into a branch over my head where I can't reach it.

I'll take the rod and grab it in the middle and put the reel up over the branch to pull it down to where I can reach the branch. Depending how long the branch is you can often retrieve flies 12' to 15' up.

Looks like "wild trout2" and I were posting at the same time, same idea though.

What happens to me a lot is the hook pulls out of a fish and flies up into a branch over my head where I can't reach it.

I'll take the rod and grab it in the middle and put the reel up over the branch to pull it down to where I can reach the branch. Depending how long the branch is you can often retrieve flies 12' to 15' up.
I used to do this, until I broke the tip off of my switch rod. Lesson learned the hard way. lol

I waded over to retrieve it and picked 5 good looking flies off the bush. Well worth the effort.
I've encountered this same situation a few times. Once getting to my fly, I've found several other flies that fell victim to the same bush/tree branch. I like seeing what other's were using.

I've encountered this same situation a few times. Once getting to my fly, I've found several other flies that fell victim to the same bush/tree branch. I like seeing what other's were using.
I saw Joe Humphries picking flies off the bushes at Allenberry across from the pavillion.

I’ve seen to many times a good spot ruined by someone wading to retrieve a fly.
I prefer to break it off and keep fishing.

I have ruined many a spot. lol

That's a great tip. Now to see if it will work on a 2 fly dropshot rig.

I'm definitely in the jerk first ask questions later crowd. I'll have to give it a try and see if I can get all tactical.

I will do extraordinary things to get a fly out of a tree....

This was on the Oak in NY. He said it was the last trout bead of that color and he wasn't letting it in the tree. lol

Attachments

• Henry B.jpg
    Henry B.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 31
Back