How to get good casts

Peyton

Peyton

I can't seem to get a good cast with any of my fly rods. I can hit about 50" with ease using a 5wt Orvis, 50' with a cheap 6-7wt, but it's a lot harder, and I can hit 70' with a good 8wt. 50' is plenty for trout fishing, but only 70' for bass and musky seems short. This is all double hauling weightless, and weight doesn't affect the cast on the 8wt, and I don't use weighted trout flies. I have the ability to spey cast with the 8wt but don't know how or what I need for it. How could I improve the length of my cast without a bigger or new rod?

I can't seem to get a good cast with any of my fly rods. I can hit about 50" with ease using a 5wt Orvis, 50' with a cheap 6-7wt, but it's a lot harder, and I can hit 70' with a good 8wt. 50' is plenty for trout fishing, but only 70' for bass and musky seems short. This is all double hauling weightless, and weight doesn't affect the cast on the 8wt, and I don't use weighted trout flies. I have the ability to spey cast with the 8wt but don't know how or what I need for it. How could I improve the length of my cast without a bigger or new rod?
Keep practicing to improve your technique by watching videos or better yet take casting lessons from a certified casting instructor if possible. I believe spending your money on professional instruction rather than on a new rod will get you where you go.

But 70' is a very long cast for most FFers. After watching thousands of FFers cast, I can say many if not most FFers cannot double haul and cast a legit 70'.

Practice (good technique).....Practice (good technique).....Practice (good technique).........

To paraphrase afishinado, the same way you get to Carnegie Hall, practice. I'm a lousy caster. I can accurately cast 50' with my 5, 6 or 8 wgt rods. 60' not so much, and by 70' it's down right messy. I'm one of those FFers who can't double haul. I think there's one step too many in the process that exceeds my coordination. You don't need to make long casts for bass, particularly when fishing from a boat, even from shore the bass are closer than you think. Accuracy is more important. You need to be able to put the fly near the cover bass may be using. A dock, or even under a dock, boat house, fallen timber, a beaver lodge. I caught the bass in my avatar, maybe 20 feet away from where I was standing. It was sitting under a boat tied up to the dock.
While you practice your casting, also work on your accuracy.

70’ is a good cast if your chucking bass and musky flies. instead of wearing yourself out double hauling and flailing about, try taking a couple steps forward Instead. I’m not a great caster but I’m very good at moving closer. if they had stepping forward competitions I would win every time. It pays to be a simpleton.

I misuse another common saying, it's not how long you cast, it's how you use it.

You should ask yourself why you think you aren't casting well. Ae you planning on fishing tropical saltwater? There are very few instances where a cast of 70' is required in PA. Planning your approach (ie, step closer, different angle, etc.), accuracy, and aerial/water mends to improve drifts will pay immediate dividends.

Don't compare yourself to the rod demo videos online. Those people are excellent casters. And, they often qualify rod ratings based on the normal, practical distances one would cast. For example, a 5 WT is very rarely used at >70". An 8 WT used for bonefish may more frequently be used at that distance.

I have a vivid memory of fishing the false albacore run at The Hook inlet of Harker's. There were scores of boats with two anglers each, bow and stern. The outgoing tide set up a rip against an easterly wind. It seemed like fish were chasing silversides as far as I could see and everyone was hooking up. Everyone except one guy who was putting on a distance casting clinic for himself while albies busted right behind him. My buddy and I had a good laugh at that as our reels sang.

Clearly, I don't know how good you are, but this is a post on the beginner forum. I suggest your admirable desire to improve as a fly fisher can be better (more efficiently) applied to other areas that will improve you catching.

An old rule of thumb is that comfortable casting distance is 10 ft for each weight, so 50 ft is the comfortable casting distance for a 5 wt. Of course there are some casters that exceed that by a lot. However, as mentioned above, not all distance casters are good fishermen. Many are, but I have fished with plenty of people who seem to put more importance on laying out a beautiful cast than catching fish.

An old rule of thumb is that comfortable casting distance is 10 ft for each weight, so 50 ft is the comfortable casting distance for a 5 wt. Of course there are some casters that exceed that by a lot. However, as mentioned above, not all distance casters are good fishermen. Many are, but I have fished with plenty of people who seem to put more importance on laying out a beautiful cast than catching fish.
These long casts are for bass, so very dumb fish that will eat just about anything.

Don’t mean to simplify it but….. focus. It isn’t about how straight or perfect it is. It’s about drag free. Some day you will be able to watch someone cast and know that a fish will take. It sounds weird, but it’s true.

The biggest problem most guys have is often trying too hard and putting more muscle into their casts. Typically casts get messier and distances shorter. It really is about timing and technique, not brute strength.

A lesson with a good instructor could certainly help but if that is not an option for you, practice self-control and don't succumb to the "More power" syndrome.

I have found that practice, and more time fishing helps make a better caster .

Amen Wet Fly. Just got back from a bonefishing trip and the number one casting flaw for longer casts I saw was not staying calm and rushing things. The false casts looked good then most guys speed up the final cast and screw everything up. Stay relaxed, let your back casts unfurl (don't rush it and cast early), and let the rod do the work on the forward cast. Speeding up the final forward cast leads to all sorts of problems. Sometimes I hum a tune to stay calm and keep my rhythm.

Back