How to Fish Midges?

D

delfam

Up till now I mostly fish nymphs and dries, but I want to broaden my horizon and start using some wets and midges. Just wondering how to fish midges, what layer do they feed, how to present them?

Midges have similar life cycles to mayflies and caddis...so it depends on which stage you want to represent. It is very similar to fishing any regular nymph or dry, its just that your fly is much smaller...typically size 20-32.
Here is some background info on the life cycle along with some pics...
http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/887/True-Fly-Chironomidae-Midges

after reading those I'm still not sure, from what I've read stuff like zebra midges are fished just under the surface, is that right or is it at the bottom.

delfam wrote:
after reading those I'm still not sure, from what I've read stuff like zebra midges are fished just under the surface, is that right or is it at the bottom.

Both. There's no wrong way to fish any of them.

Look at the life cycle info that David posted, and you'll see that the midge larvae exist throughout the water column. Observe the feeding fish (if you see them) and adjust. Otherwise, I tend to fish them as a trailer behind nymphs.

As far as nymphing goes, rarely do i fish just a midge. trail it behind something else like Jay said. fish the larva near the bottom with say a weighted walys worm, as the water warms a bit (winter season) maybe trail a pupa behind it (beaded zebra)...usually you can then experiment with going up in the water column but id wait to see those little dimples...then you know they are on them. usually they are sippin pupa just under the surface so try a pupa behind a dry (great in summer too) or grease up your leader to maybe 3" before a pupa (als rat maybe) and lift the rod like you are answering the phone! If you are overwhelmed by all the pupa patterns like many of us are pick a couple and stick with them.

jeff

David wrote:
Midges have similar life cycles to mayflies and caddis...so it depends on which stage you want to represent. It is very similar to fishing any regular nymph or dry, its just that your fly is much smaller...typically size 20-32.
Here is some background info on the life cycle along with some pics...
http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/887/True-Fly-Chironomidae-Midges

I agree. All it is is smaller. BTW, where the heck can you get size 32 hooks?

Just Fish,

Tiemco make 32s, model 518. One placeI get them is Fly Fisher's Paradise in State College. you can access their website form the "Fly Shop" link on this site.

There may others that stock this hook.

Dale

Back