How to end your day fishing early

Good stuff - happens to all of us. :lol:

Thanks for the video. MR looks like it has a strong flow these days.

My condolences. It's pretty impressive though that you were able to accomplish this right out in the open. I usually need to be right under a low bridge and pulling the trigger on a 4 inch brook trout before I break a rod. I have a nasty startle reflex and forget where I am sometimes....

One of the reasons that I always have an inexpensive rod in the trunk as a spare.

Fortunately it is an Orvis with their 25 year warranty. They are getting it back to me in under 2 weeks.

Glad it was only the rod. The whole time I was watching the video, I was afraid the copperhead was going to get you. Especially during the underwater release.

I recently did the same thing to my Orvis Recon this year. Unfortunately I did it in the parking lot and never got a minute on the water.

KGStine wrote:
Glad it was only the rod. The whole time I was watching the video, I was afraid the copperhead was going to get you. Especially during the underwater release.

I'd bet on it being a northern brown water snake, not a copperhead.

Had a similar incident a few years ago.

I had hiked up into the little juniata gorge with a friend. All the way to the last pool before the home waters stretch.
And that's where I snagged a tree on the far side

But it was the line that broke.
It was old and had small nick in it, about one third up from the end- which I sealed with super glue.
It held for a good year or so, before finally breaking - way up there

I had a spare reel in the truck back at the Baree parking lot - at least 2 miles back down the trail
No way I was gonna hike down, and back up again though

But the fish were rising pretty good
So I tied a loop in the new end of the line, which was now about two thirds of it's original length.
Put the leader back on and kept fishing.

I'd bet on it being a northern brown water snake, not a copperhead.

My thought as well, but I can't really make it out from the picture, and the OP was there.

I think I'd rather see a copperhead in the water than a water snake; the copperhead would just as soon avoid you, but I've seen water snakes swim across the stream for the sole purpose of biting. (Obviously, if I have to be bitten, I'd prefer the water snake.)

Back